School Counseling Assistant - MCMS
School Counseling Assistant
Location: Mecklenburg County Middle School
Reports to: Principal of MCMS
The purpose of the school counseling assistant is to provide support to the school counseling department. The school counseling secretary will courteously greet members of the school community both in-person and over the phone, communicate information as needed, and provide a broad array of support to administration, students, staff, parents, and visitors. This confidential clerical work requires an ability to work in a fast-paced environment with many interruptions and with an ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
Essential Functions (The following list is illustrative of both broad and specific tasks and responsibilities. It is not intended to detail every task or responsibility.):
- Serves as confidential secretary to the school counseling department.
- Act as receptionist, greeting visitors, answering telephone calls in a pleasant and efficient manner, and communicating effectively in routine, sensitive, and confidential situations.
- Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing, with a diverse population of students, parents, and staff.
- Maintains confidentiality of student, staff, and district issues and observes data privacy requirements.
- Keeps track of schedules, appointments, and counseling calendars.
- Monitors and assists students and others in the career corner.
- Assists parents in accessing student information through the parent portal.
- Prepares standardized documents and reports (e.g. form letters and memos, calendars, bulletins, periodic report, etc.) for the purpose of communicating information to other parties and/or agencies.
- Provides regular communication and correspondence with the counseling staff and administration.
- Performs general clerical duties, including word processing and correspondence for staff. Copies, files, emails, send faxes and uses the internet as necessary.
- Maintains office security by locking and unlocking doors, filing cabinets, securing checks, cash, and personal data.
- Assists parents in completing registration paperwork and ensuring that they have valid and appropriate documentation for the purpose of registering new students.
- Assist the school data clerk with entering student data into the student information system for the purpose of registration, withdrawal, and scheduling.
- Responsible for accurately entering student discipline data into the student information system and providing any discipline reports as requested by the principal or designee.
- Perform other clerical and administrative duties for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the school as directed by the principal.
- Perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percents, and/or ratios.
- Read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed formats, and/or present information to others.
- Understand complex, multi-step written and oral instructions.
- Other specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include business telephone etiquette, office equipment/software, and English grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Perform multiple tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions.
- Operate standard office equipment such as desktop or laptop computers and pertinent software applications (Microsoft Office and Google Applications), fax machines, copy machines, and multi-line telephone.
- Perform standard clerical procedures such as filing, gathering, collating, and/or classifying information/data.
- Must have the ability to schedule activities and/or meetings.
- Flexibility is required to work with others in a variety of circumstances,
- Analyze data utilizing defined but different processes.
- Operate equipment using defined methods.
- Work with a wide diversity of individuals
- Problem-solving is required to identify issues and create action plans.
- Attention to detail
- Meet deadlines and schedules, working under time constraints, maintaining confidentiality, and working with frequent interruptions.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Prior office experience preferred.
Must be able to keyboard accurately at a moderate rate of speed.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
200-day classified contract (10-month contract)