School Bookkeeping Assistant - MCMS
School Bookkeeping Assistant
Location: Mecklenburg County Middle School
Reports to: Principal of MCMS
The purpose of the school bookkeeping assistant is to provide financial accounting and specialized clerical work related to the school, with a specific emphasis on the processing of all financial records and documents under the direction of the principal. This confidential clerical work requires an ability to work in a fast-paced environment with many interruptions and with an ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
Essential Functions (The following list is illustrative of both broad and specific tasks and responsibilities. It is not intended to detail every task or responsibility.):
- Work directly with the Principal to develop the school’s budget for the fiscal year and provide the principal with monthly reports.
- Maintain regular communication with the division finance department to stay informed of all current regulations.
- Responsible for managing and maintaining all financial records for the school.
- Provide up-to-date budget information and reports when requested.
- Audit all club and class activity accounts and other related accounts when needed.
- Maintain appropriate contact with school personnel, parents, students, and vendors.
- Prepare appropriate records for annual school audits.
- Maintain documents, files, and records for the purpose of providing up-to-date references and audit trails for compliance.
- Prepare purchase orders for the purpose of submitting them to the school district's accounting/finance office.
- Record receipts and disbursements on desktop or laptop computer accounting program as well as tracking in Excel.
- Prepare and transport daily deposits to the bank.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliation and financial statement reports and reconcile monthly draw reports.
- Monitor staff and financial procedures as needed.
- Train staff on proper money handling procedures.
- Oversee inventory of department supplies.
- Receive all school materials and distribute them to the appropriate location.
- Handle any discrepancies or returns with vendors.
- Oversee field trip planning, process contracts, receive monies, and disburse checks.
- Maintains office security by locking and unlocking doors, filing cabinets, securing checks, cash, and personal data.
- Maintain documentation and records regarding staff absences.
- Maintain an updated and accurate list of substitute teachers, secure substitutes as appropriate, and record days worked by substitute teachers in RDA.
- Assist visitors to the office, including students, parents, substitutes teachers, and others when needed.
- Answer telephone calls, and provide information and assistance to callers when needed.
- Perform other clerical and administrative duties for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the school as directed by the principal.
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, copy machine, fax machine, telephone.
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities:
- Perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percents, and/or ratios.
- Read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed formats, and/or present information to others.
- Understand complex, multi-step written and oral instructions.
- Other specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include business telephone etiquette, office equipment/software, and English grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Perform multiple tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions.
- Operate standard office equipment such as desktop or laptop computers and pertinent software applications (Microsoft Office and Google Applications), fax machines, copy machines, and multi-line telephone.
- Perform standard clerical procedures such as filing, gathering, collating, and/or classifying information/data.
- Must have the ability to schedule activities and/or meetings.
- Flexibility is required to work with others in a variety of circumstances,
- Analyze data utilizing defined but different processes.
- Operate equipment using defined methods.
- Work with a wide diversity of individuals
- Problem-solving is required to identify issues and create action plans.
- Attention to detail
- Meet deadlines and schedules, working under time constraints, maintaining confidentiality, and working with frequent interruptions.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Prior office experience preferred.
Must be able to keyboard accurately at a moderate rate of speed.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
237-day classified contract (12-month contract)