School Administrative Assistant - MCMS
School Administrative Assistant
Location: Mecklenburg County Middle School
Reports to: Principal of MCMS
The purpose of the school administrative assistant is to serve as general office manager for all administrative support positions in the school as well as to provide clerical and administrative support to the school principal and coordinate the efforts of all school administrative staff to most efficiently operate school functions. The school administrative assistant will courteously greet members of the school community both in-person and over the phone, communicate information as needed, and provide a broad array of support to administration, students, staff, parents, and visitors. This confidential clerical work requires an ability to work in a fast-paced environment with many interruptions and with an ability to perform multiple tasks accurately and simultaneously.
Essential Functions (The following list is illustrative of both broad and specific tasks and responsibilities. It is not intended to detail every task or responsibility.):
- Act as principal’s office assistant; greeting visitors, answering telephone calls in a pleasant and efficient manner, and communicating effectively in routine, sensitive, and confidential situations.
- Orient new campus personnel regarding appropriate school and district practices for the purpose of effectively assimilating new personnel into campus operations.
- Guide and instruct other office employees in their work including cross-training.
- Plan for coverage of administrative support staff in case of absence.
- Direct and coordinate the work of school administrative personnel to meet established timelines.
- Perform more complex clerical assignments as directed by the principal.
- Maintain an appointment schedule for the principal setting up and arranging meetings and conferences.
- Prepare written materials (correspondence, agendas, minutes, newsletter, handbook, bulletins, reports, presentations, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference, and/or conveying information.
- Maintain the school’s webpage and social media presence.
- Evaluate situations for the purpose of taking the appropriate action and/or directing to the appropriate personnel for resolution.
- Organize and maintain an efficient office that handles a variety of tasks for the administration, faculty, students, and parents of the school.
- Ensure that all communications from the office meet proper written and oral English standards.
- Create and maintain a clean, attractive, orderly, safe, and efficient office environment.
- Communicate to the principal or designee any unusual situations.
- Assist the principal or designee and staff in handling interruptions and emergencies calling for assistance when necessary.
- Keep informed about school and district activities and any other information necessary for the functioning of the office.
- Maintain confidentiality of student, staff, and district issues and observe data privacy requirements
- Respond to questions from a variety of internal and external sources (e.g. staff, other educational institutions, the public, parents and/or students, etc.) for the purpose of providing information and/or direction.
- Performs general clerical duties, including word processing and correspondence for staff. Copies, files, emails, send faxes and uses the internet as necessary.
- Maintains office security by locking and unlocking doors, filing cabinets, securing checks, cash, and personal data.
- Perform other clerical and administrative duties for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the school as directed by the principal.
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities:
- Perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percents, and/or ratios.
- Read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed formats, and/or present information to others.
- Understand complex, multi-step written and oral instructions.
- Other specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include business telephone etiquette, office equipment/software, and English grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Perform multiple tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions.
- Operate standard office equipment such as desktop or laptop computers and pertinent software applications (Microsoft Office and Google Applications), fax machines, copy machines, and multi-line telephone.
- Perform standard clerical procedures such as filing, gathering, collating, and/or classifying information/data.
- Must have the ability to schedule activities and/or meetings.
- Flexibility is required to work with others in a variety of circumstances,
- Analyze data utilizing defined but different processes.
- Operate equipment using defined methods.
- Work with a wide diversity of individuals
- Problem-solving is required to identify issues and create action plans.
- Attention to detail
- Meet deadlines and schedules, working under time constraints, maintaining confidentiality, and working with frequent interruptions.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Prior office experience preferred.
Must be able to keyboard accurately at a moderate rate of speed.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
237-day classified contract (12-month contract)