School Data Assistant/Registrar - MCHS
School Data Assistant/Registrar
Location: Mecklenburg County High School
Reports to: Principal of MCHS
The purpose of the school data assistant/registrar is to maintain the integrity of all manual and electronic student records in an organized manner in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations. The school data assistant/registrar will enter information into the student information system and receive records for student enrollments, as well as prepare and deliver records for student withdrawals. The school data assistant/registrar will also access a variety of databases and spreadsheets to produce reports as needed by school counselors or administration. The school data assistant/registrar will courteously greet members of the school community both in-person and over the phone, communicate information as needed, and provide a broad array of support to administration, students, staff, parents, and visitors. This confidential clerical work requires an ability to work in a fast-paced environment with many interruptions and with an ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
Essential Functions (The following list is illustrative of both broad and specific tasks and responsibilities. It is not intended to detail every task or responsibility.):
- Act as receptionist, greeting visitors, answering telephone calls in a pleasant and efficient manner, and communicating effectively in routine, sensitive, and confidential situations.
- Maintains confidentiality of student, staff, and district issues and observes data privacy requirements.
- Assists counselors in evaluating transcripts of incoming students for the purpose of transferring grades and credits into the student information system.
- Provides technical assistance on the student information system as needed.
- Assists parents in accessing student information through the parent portal.
- Maintains a variety of student records within the student information system for the purpose of providing up-to-date reference and compliance with regulatory requirements and established guidelines.
- Assists with new student enrollment and withdrawal activities (e.g. interpreting transcripts, updating automated student information system, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring compliance with financial, legal, state, or federal requirements.
- Enters and verifies grades and other information from various sources (grade verification sheets, GSSV, CTE information, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining accurate student records and preparing for the distribution of report cards.
- Researches discrepancies in student records for the purpose of verifying graduation status and ensuring the accuracy of information.
- Informs appropriate personnel of possible student course deficiencies for the purpose of assisting in addressing student course requirements.
- Works with school faculty to collect, and maintain required student forms (Acceptable Use Policy, Student Code of Conduct, Opt-out forms, etc.), and communicate with faculty, students, and parents regarding missing documents.
- Prepares standardized documents and reports from the student information system for the purpose of communicating information to other parties and/or agencies.
- Responds to questions from a variety of internal and external sources (e.g. staff, other educational institutions, the public, parents and/or students, etc.) for the purpose of providing information and/or direction.
- Verifies student-related data (e.g. grades, information, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the accuracy of the student records.
- Provides regular communication and correspondence with the counseling staff and administration.
- Performs general clerical duties, including word processing and correspondence for staff. Copies, files, emails, sends faxes and uses the internet as necessary.
- Maintains office security by locking and unlocking doors, filing cabinets, securing checks, cash, and personal data.
- Perform other clerical and administrative duties for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the school as directed by the principal.
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities:
- Perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percents, and/or ratios.
- Read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed formats, and/or present information to others.
- Understand complex, multi-step written and oral instructions.
- Other specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include business telephone etiquette, office equipment/software, and English grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Perform multiple tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions.
- Operate standard office equipment such as desktop or laptop computers and pertinent software applications (Microsoft Office and Google Applications), fax machines, copy machines, and multi-line telephone.
- Perform standard clerical procedures such as filing, gathering, collating, and/or classifying information/data.
- Must have the ability to schedule activities and/or meetings.
- Flexibility is required to work with others in a variety of circumstances,
- Analyze data utilizing defined but different processes.
- Operate equipment using defined methods.
- Work with a wide diversity of individuals
- Problem-solving is required to identify issues and create action plans.
- Attention to detail
- Meet deadlines and schedules, working under time constraints, maintaining confidentiality, and working with frequent interruptions.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Prior office experience preferred.
Must be able to keyboard accurately at a moderate rate of speed.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
237-day classified contract (12-month contract)