Job Title: Occupational Therapist
Department: Special Education
Reports To: Related Services Coordinator
Epic’s Occupational Therapists will use meaningful activities (occupations) to help children and youth participate in what they need and/or want to do in order to promote physical and mental health and well-being. Our goal is to ensure that school-wide we are providing appropriate programs in the least restrictive environment for all students with accommodation needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- - Actively participate in the success of Epic Charter School
- -Adhere to laws, policies, procedures, and ethical standards of Epic Charter School
- - Administer appropriate assessments when given referrals
- - Provide evaluation reports (for an educational setting)
- - Conduct / attend IEP and MEEG meetings and address IEP paperwork within a timely manner so as to remain in compliance with the Oklahoma State Department of Education
- - Provide therapy services according to IEP's (in person, online, monitoring, and/or consulting)
- - Communicate with families and staff regarding students and services
- - Monitor compliance for his/her assigned caseload
- - Be available for parents and teachers to contact you
- - Be available as a resource for the primary teacher
- - Give accommodation information to the teacher and testing coordinator
- - Attend Professional Learning Communities held once a month
- - Maintain documentation of student progress and tracking documents to show student growth
- - Be an adult advocate for assigned students
- - Report suspected child abuse/neglect
- - No supervisory responsibilities
Education and/or Experience
- - Master’s degree
- - Experience working with students and families required
- - Advanced understanding of special ed compliance
- - Ability to collect and analyze data from a variety of sources
- - Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- - Demonstrates ability to think creatively and demonstrates leadership abilities
- - Ability to build effective relationships, work collaboratively and gain credibility quickly to instill confidence of teaching ability
- - Strong decision making, organizational, planning, analytical and problem solving skills
- - Use effective positive interpersonal communication skills
- - Resolve issues and conflicts
- - Strong technology skills in up-to-date computer software including Zoom, word processing and spreadsheets
- - Current on new instructional technologies
- - Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others
- - Demonstrates self-discipline and initiative
- - Passionate commitment to the mission of school choice
- - Ability to maintain professional confidentiality and comply with FERPA and HIPAA guidelines
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to communicate effectively with students, families and coworkers, both verbally and in writing. Ability to effectively present information to students, families and supervisor.
Basic math skills required
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Google applications, Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Experience with EdPlan preferred. Must have a high aptitude to learn new software as necessary for the business operations of the school.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- - Current driver's license and valid car insurance
- - Appropriate OT license/certification required
- - Must be able to pass a state-mandated background check after a conditional offer of employment is made
- - Must have favorable employment references
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position works in the Epic Special Services building and also must travel to various Epic sites. This may require spending a significant amount of time in the car, driving in various conditions and at various times of day. The noise level is quiet to moderately loud (when students are present.)