School Bus Driver
Performs routine bus driving duties transporting students to and from assigned schools and transports students for special events and field trips.
• High School diploma or equivalent.
• Must be 21 years of age or older.
• Valid Virginia motor vehicle operator's license.
• Ability to meet Virginia School Bus Commercial Driver License requirements.
o Minimum hours of instruction
o Satisfactory score on written examination
o Local and state standards for driving test and driving record check (DMV report)
o State required physical (as administered by Charles City County School Division contracted provider; physical includes alcohol and controlled substance testing)
• Ability to operate all vehicle types (from 15-passenger van buses to 77-passenger vehicles) used in transporting students.
• Sufficient knowledge of automotive vehicle operation with emphasis on large equipment with automatic transmissions.
• Thorough knowledge of State highway operating rules and procedures.
• Excellent driving record without a moving traffic violation within two years.
• Ability to operate radio communication.
• Ability to deal with exuberant behavioral characteristics of youthful riders.
• Completion of defensive driving course and multimedia first aid prior to employment preferred.
Coordinator of Transportation. Each driver shall also be directly responsible to the principal of the school(s) served on matters related to student discipline.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Maintain valid Virginia School Bus Commercial Driver License.
• Inspect vehicle prior to and after daily operations for maintenance discrepancies.
• Operate a school bus over established routes in an efficient and punctual manner.
• Maintain student discipline while operating a school bus following the guidelines established by the School Board.
• Drive defensively under varying traffic conditions.
• Perform housekeeping duties inside and outside the school bus.
• Refuel and check oil on equipment as needed.
• Demonstrate knowledge of rules and regulations promulgated by local, state, and
• Behave in a professional manner exhibiting a positive image in dealing with
students, parents, and school division personnel.
• Maintain availability to drive doubled bus runs within the normal contracted hourly
day as circumstances require and perform such doubled runs as assigned.
• Conduct emergency evacuation drills in keeping with division regulations.
• Attend workshops and safety meetings as directed.
• Operate a school bus on special trip assignments.
• Report personal absences to supervisor allowing sufficient time to secure a
• Report vehicle maintenance problems to supervisor or Manager of Vehicle Maintenance
• Assist in preparation of route schedules.
• Contributes to a safe educational and working environment by participating in all
drills and training and being prepared to take action should a health or safety emergency occur.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Supervisor of Operations, Coordinator of
Transportation Services, Lead Bus Driver, and School Principal/Assistant Principal.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Performance on this job will be evaluated in accordance with school board policy and administrative
regulations on evaluation of non-licensed personnel.
APPROVED BY SUPERINTENDENT
2/9/2016 Updated 7/15/19
JOB DESCRIPTION PREPARED BY
Director of Human Resources
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work
performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted
as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of
employees to this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or
The employee signature below constitutes the employee's understanding of the requirements,
essential functions and duties of the position and has agreed that they are capable of and willing
to perform in a reasonable manner the activities involved in the job and role for which they have
Name (Print): ______________________________
The Charles City County School Board (“School Board”) is an equal opportunity employer, committed
to nondiscrimination in recruitment, selection, hiring, pay, promotion, retention or other
personnel actions affecting employees or candidates for employment. Therefore, discrimination in
employment against any person on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry,
political affiliation, sex, gender, gender identity, age, marital status, genetic information or
disability is prohibited. Personnel decisions are based on merit and the ability to perform the
essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
The Charles City County Public Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this position description and related duties at any time.