School Health Services Office Assistant-Hourly
August 31, 2021
NORMAN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Job Title: School Health Services Assistant/Clerical Assistant
Education: High school, GED certificate is required. Some college hours are preferred.
Special Skills, Knowledge, Abilities:
Communication Skills (oral, written, or business): Basic communication skills to exchange information, give/receive simple instructions and respond to inquiries. Includes filling out forms and writing routine reports.
Data Recording/Record Keeping: Perform simple data recording/record for health records on the computer and in the students file.
Mathematical Skills: Perform routine computations requiring knowledge of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division using whole numbers, fractions, decimals and/or percentages.
Knowledge: Read and interpret routine written or printed materials such as manuals, instructional material, charts or diagrams.
Business Machines (like computers, copiers, etc.): Use business machines that can be easily learned from simple manuals or simple verbal instructions. Such machines include but are not limited to photocopiers, laminator, duplicator, and computers.
Office Filing and Retrieving: Responsible for filing and retrieving from an existing filing system.
Spelling Skills: Basic spelling is required.
Site: Various, may require some travel
Reports To: Director of Health Services, Building Administrator, Supervising School Nurse
Job Goal (Purpose of Position): An incumbent in this position will follow generally standardized operating policies and procedures. On occasion will have to interpret policies and procedures and follow predetermined solutions established by higher level supervision or operating procedures.
Contact with Others: An incumbent in this position has regular contact by telephone or in-person with members of the staff, health services team, and public. The job requires tact and diplomacy.
Other Performance Measures:
Successful performance of the job requires customer service/people skills to resolve problems and provide information as requested. It requires following school dress standards, proper attendance or leave policies, and other work-habits concerns. Creativity, initiative and effective problem solving is important to the success of the position.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Greet all students who come to the clinic seeking assistance, determine individual needs and provide care as situations require.
2. Assist in contacting parents/guardians.
3. Maintain and update student health records.
4. Maintain confidentiality of information learned in the performance of duties.
5. Type on computer, word processor, or typewriter from rough draft.
6. Assist with taking temperatures, care of minor injuries, calling parents for ill students.
7. Receive visitors, handle telephone calls, and provide assistance concerning policies, procedures, and other details.
8. May assist with inventory and/or purchasing and simple bookkeeping activities.
9. Assist with photocopying, laminating and other tasks. Perform minor preventive maintenance on equipment. May operate modern office equipment including a computer.
10. May need to travel from site to site as needed.
11. Perform other duties as assigned.
Supervision exercised: An incumbent does not supervise.
Physical/Mental Requirements and Working Conditions:
This job requires frequent bending/stooping and occasional to frequent squatting/crouching, reaching above the shoulder, and pushing and pulling. There is occasional lifting up to 50 pounds to assist the lifting of chairs, classroom equipment and supplies. The incumbent must have the dexterity to operate keyboards, computers, copy machines, and other office/instructional machines. Must be able to communicate with students and parents. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
Terms of Employment:
Contract length: 180 days - Temporary Employment Contract
Work Schedule: See Work Schedule for full time & half time hours
Salary Schedule Teacher Assistant
Reviewed and accepted:
Supervisor's signature date
Incumbent’s signature date