Multilingual Learner ML Paraprofessional (Anna Smith Elementary, Wendover)
Under the direct supervision of a certified staff member, the Multilingual Learner (ML) Paraprofessional will support students learning English by providing individualized instructional and social/emotional support. The ML paraprofessional will also be involved in administering language proficiency assessments to determine students’ performance levels and to identify language acquisition needs. Spanish-speaking skills are highly valued in this position but is not a mandatory requirement.
Essential Job Functions
- Works collaboratively with ML Specialist to ensure that English Learners’ academic and social-emotional needs are being met by working in conjunction with general education teachers, specialists, counselors, administration, and/or other school personnel.
- Meets individually with students to check on academic progress (grades, homework, attendance, etc.) based on referrals or at-risk determinations. Provides organized documentation of check-in/visits and of students’ progress.
- Assists ML Specialist(s) with English proficiency assessments such as WIDA screenings and WIDA ACCESS testing processes.
- Provides Newcomer students (i.e. recently entered the country with limited English proficiency) with social/emotional support while navigating the new school system and with participating within school functions.
- Teaches Newcomer lessons to students who have recently entered the country and has limited English proficiency.
- Provides in-class instructional support where needed.
- Supports school-wide efforts to communicate and involve ML families. May include translation support for school meetings and/or events.
- Use standard office equipment when necessary, such as school device/computers and copiers.
- Occasional district/school meetings may require some traveling during the workday.
- Ability to carry out instructions provided in written or oral form. Also, ability to report work orally or in written form to supervisor is essential.
- Ability to check email daily and respond via email when necessary.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals and continually maintain cooperative working relationships with staff, students, and EL families.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, employees, and others.
- Ability to establish a supportive and compassionate relationship with English Learner students.
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge level for successful performance would be acceptable:
- High School Diploma
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Successful completion of college level coursework (transcript documentation needed at time of hiring)
- If hired to work in a Title I school (Anna Smith Elementary is a Title I school), federal law requires a paraprofessional to take and pass the Para-Pro Exam unless proof of college level coursework has been submitted (equivalent of an associate degree: 60 semester or 90 quarter credits).
- 29 hours per week, student-contact days (approximately 173 days), Time Card
- Support Professional Employees Salary Schedule Level B1
Not Benefit Eligible