Teacher - Special Education
JOB TITLE: Teacher - Special Education
DEPARTMENT: School Site
REPORTS TO: Principal
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
CONTRACT STATUS: Full-time / 180-days
SALARY SCHEDULE: Certified
SUMMARY: Under general supervision, plan and implement curriculum and educational programs for children, adolescents, or adults with specific disabilities. Assess students’ abilities and develop individualized education plans consistent with treatment goals. Coordinate programs for therapeutic purposes; integrate overall developmental goals in to the academic setting. Manage behavior of students to create a safe physical and emotional classroom environment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: These statements are intended to describe the responsibilities assigned to this position and are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
- Plan, develop, write, and implement curriculum and educational programs in accordance with educational/treatment goals and students’ abilities.
- Facilitate therapeutic groups and may teach academic curriculum in a therapeutic classroom.
- Manage student behavior to encourage best possible student educational experience.
- Interact with and participate in consultations with specialists as appropriate in order to plan and prepare each child’s individualized educational program in accordance with goals.
- May coordinate programs with related disciplines for therapeutic purposes; attend multidisciplinary meeting to facilitate comprehensive program planning.
- Prepare appropriate documentation and reports on programs and on student progress.
- May specialize in one or more areas of the curriculum, such as physical education, art or music.
- Coordinate and lead the work of others.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Evaluate each pupil’s performance, knowledge, and skills to course being taught.
- Prepare progress reports.
- Select and requisition books, instructional aids, equipment tools, materials, supplies and parts as required.
- Instruct students in daily living skills for independent maintenance and self-sufficiency.
- Modify the general education curriculum for special-needs students.
- Coordinate placement of students with special-needs into mainstream classes.
- Assists with special projects.
- All other duties as assigned by the administrator.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
QUALIFICATION: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field.
- Valid Oklahoma Teaching Certificate
- Valid Oklahoma Special Education Teaching Certificate
- Experience training and assisting classroom teachers in applying the principles of applied behavior analysis preferred.
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Computer literate; excellent written and oral communication ability; strong knowledge of rules, regulations, policies and laws applicable to education and special education. Ability to follow all district policies and procedures. Ability to work independently, displaying initiative and enthusiasm for the tasks being done. Demonstrating strong communication skills, orally and in writing, with faculty, staff, team members, and administrators. Ability to work without supervision, and work as a team player. Ability to document records accurately. Ability to manage confidential information in a manner that respects students, families, and employees. Ability to listen effectively.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret English language including common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts and mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out written and oral instructions. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, sit, and walk.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primarily inside working conditions; some exposure to environmental conditions during outside duty. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.