Library Media Specialist
Job | Posted a month ago
- Bachelor’s Degree and a Virginia teaching license with a library science endorsement.
- Demonstrates professional and personal characteristics necessary for working effectively with all students, parents, school personnel, and other members of the community.
- Demonstrates strong organizational and management skills.
- Ability to prepare and disseminate written reports within required timelines; ability to quickly learn and apply new technology.
- Possesses sufficient strength, agility, dexterity and mobility to carry out all performance responsibilities; possesses the ability to monitor and ensure appropriate student behavior.
- Orders, processes, maintains and circulates print and non-print media center materials; solicits input from faculty concerning the selection of new materials.
- Consults review recommendations and sources lists to insure effective curriculum development; solicits input from faculty concerning the selection of new materials.
- Makes available lists, reviews, and catalogs for teachers to use in selecting and requesting materials which support their curriculum.
- Plans collaboratively with classroom teacher so that media center skills are taught in conjunction with curriculum related activities; participates in the planning, development and implementation of curriculum programs.
- Prepares bibliographies and other materials on specific subjects for student and teacher use; publishes regularly, lists of new materials added to the media center collection.
- Conducts training activities in the use of the media center materials, equipment and technology for teachers, students and volunteer personnel.
- Maintains an inviting and pleasant environment that encourages maximum use of the media center by both students and faculty; provides media experiences designed to help students develop vocational and avocational interests.
- Organizes, distributes, and promotes the effective use of media center equipment; makes minor repairs to books and audio-visual materials and equipment; weeds the media center collection, discarding and replacing worn or outdated articles as needed; conducts an end-of-the-year inventory of library materials and school equipment.
- Maintains accurate, complete records and reports as required by law, district policy and administrative regulation.
- Serves on the division’s Technology Committee to help promote the integration of technology tools in classroom lessons.
- Works cooperatively and collaboratively with colleagues, support staff, and administration.
- Actively participates in professional growth activities and demonstrates professionalism.
- Contributes to the total school program by serving on governance teams, committees and task forces in the school and division such as: student assessment teams; Child Study; Eligibility; IEP; and other professional Committees.
- Contributes to a safe educational and working environment by participating in all drills and training and being prepared to take action should a health or safety emergency occur.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Director of Human Resources
The Charles City County School Board (“School Board”) is an equal opportunity employer, committed to nondiscrimination in recruitment, selection, hiring, pay, promotion, retention or other personnel actions affecting employees or candidates for employment. Therefore, discrimination in employment against any person on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, political affiliation, sex, gender, gender identity, age, marital status, genetic information or disability is prohibited. Personnel decisions are based on merit and the ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
The Charles City County Public Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this position description and related duties at any time