Education Assistant, Classroom
EDUCATION ASSISTANT, CLASSROOM
Hiring Pay Range: $12.43 - $13.20, DOE
Schedule: .30 FTE (12 hours/week)
Mon, Wed, Thur, Fri - 10:45 am - 1:00 pm and Tues 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
10 months/188 paid work days per year
Job Location: Ventana Vista Elementary School
Target Start Date: August 2021
Under immediate supervision of certified teaching staff, subject specialists or Principal, performs work of moderate difficulty assisting in the structured education of students. Assignment may be with students of any grade level and may include support in specialized learning environments such as computer labs.
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a complete listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this job class.)
- Work with students individually and in groups and assist them with lessons and instruction according to the teacher’s lesson plan.
- Assist teacher in delivering whole class projects.
- Monitor students on school grounds, before school, at lunch, at break, on playgrounds, during passing periods and a traffic duty and emphasize appropriate behavior.
- Administer tests and collect and grade homework and tests. Read to and assist students in reading.
- Prepare classroom materials, report cards, bulletin boards and visual aids.
- Arrange field trips.
- Provide clerical support to teachers or subject specialists, such as copying and collating instructional materials, and creating letters, forms and supply orders.
- Enter data on homework hotline. Record and assign lockers to students.
- Assist with and deliver student counseling and discipline in an urgent situation in the absence of a teacher.
- May assist in providing clerical support to the school office.
- Assist teachers in carrying out educational program.
- Interact with children to encourage positive self concept and enthusiasm for the discovery process.
- Prepare and care for the classroom and playground as needed.
- Attend regular staff meetings.
- Prepare and clean-up daily snack.
- Adhere to the goals, policies and procedures of the program.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Other Characteristics:
Knowledge of CFSD and school policies and procedures regarding student discipline.
Knowledge of curriculum content for assigned area.
Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures.
Skill in operating a variety of standard office equipment such as phones, copiers, calculators, paper cutters, overhead projector and scanners.
Skill in communicating effectively, orally and in writing.
Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with staff, administrators, students and parents.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
High School diploma or GED
CPR certificate and First Aid certificate are required within one (1) year of hire