Elementary Classroom Teacher
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to facilitate student success and growth in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing Utah State Board of Education Core Standards and Tooele County School District approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; addressing specific educational needs of individual students and by creating a flexible, safe and optimal learning environment; and providing feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc.
- Prepares students for college and career readiness.
- Develops and administers school elementary curriculum consistent with Utah State Board of Education (USBE) Core Standards and Tooele County School District (TCSD) goals and objectives while providing Tier I instruction.
Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction.
Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed including response to interventions.
Instructs students in the principles of responsible citizenship and other subject matters specified in applicable laws, as well as administrative regulations and procedures of the c school system.
Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
Ensures that student conduct conforms with the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
Coordinates with other elementary professional staff members, especially within grade level, to evaluate and assess curriculum, and participates in faculty meetings and committees. Participates in the PLC, Professional Learning Community, program.
Uses appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
Supervises students in activities that take place out of the classroom during the school day, including activities involving school transportation.
Administers standardized tests in accordance with District testing programs.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard and current electronics, technology and equipment such as personal computers, printer, Promethean ActivPanel, document camera, voice enhancement equipment, etc.
Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiates instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of elementary school curriculum and concepts.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Works in classroom and school building environments.
Applicants must have a current Utah teaching license in Elementary Education or have the ability to obtain a current Utah teaching license in Elementary Education as outlined by the guidelines of the Utah State Board of Education.
USBE License Area: Elementary Education.USBE License Level: AEL or Associates or Professional
Note for Teachers licensed outside of Utah: Reciprocity with other states regarding licensure is not guaranteed and is contingent on fulfilling minimum license and endorsement requirements for Utah. For more information about obtaining a Utah license go to www.schools.utah.gov/cert/Out-of-State-License.aspx
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in Elementary Education or related discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Masters Degree in related area preferred.
Successful prior teaching or student teaching experience for the appropriate grade levels a plus.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Internal Applicants: Please submit a letter of interest to the Human Resources Department Director Terry Christensen
External Applicants: Please complete online application
Full time, 187 days, paid over 12 months
Certified Salary Schedule
8 days sick leave and 4 days personal leave