Paralegal Administrative Assistant
Job | Posted 10 days ago
|Supervisor:||Ms. Nanci Reaves, School Board Attorney|
|Employment Period:||12 months|
|Pay Rate (H-15):||$21.69 -- $28.10 (hiring range)|
|Start Date:||As soon as possible|
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- – Prepares, drafts and processes legal documents, pleadings and papers, such as letters, memos, subpoenas, motions, complaints, agreements, and grievance materials, including written documentation for hearings.
- – Reviews and researches legal publications and performs database searches to identify laws and court decisions relevant to pending matters, assists with the preparation of legal memos.
- – Prepares legal materials and policies for School Board meetings and maintains strict confidentiality.
- – Maintains master files for all Hampton City Schools’ Cell Tower Leases and assures that all documentation required by Leases is received annually, including insurance verification.
- – Assists School Board Attorney in maintaining Hampton City Schools’ Policy Manual and coordinating Policy Review committee meetings.
- – Maintains logs of all pending and closed lawsuits, administrative claims and similar legal matters.
- – Assists the School Board Attorney in maintaining a calendar, makes appointments as instructed, and arranges meetings when necessary.
- – Assists in the preparation of legal training materials for staff, including production of power point presentations, legal guidelines. Prepares training presentations for School Board members.
- – Assists the School Board Attorney in tasks associated with support of the Board Clerk, the Board and the Superintendent and interacts with the Chairman and other Board members regarding specific requests.
- – Prioritizes duties and assignments to assure the flow of assignments do not impose liabilities on the Division.
- – Performs other duties as assigned.
- – Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma.
- – Specialized training in legal secretarial or paralegal field is required.
- – Five years of experience as a paralegal or legal secretary, preferably in civil litigation, public government and education law; employment relations law including collective bargaining or any combination of like experience and/or training.
- – Possesses strong decision-making skills and excellent judgment.
- – Requires proficiency Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, preferably in a Macintosh environment).
- – Ability to operate and perform tasks on standard office equipment; computers, fax, telephone, printers, copiers, etc.
- – Awareness of and compliance with ethical obligations of attorneys, confidentiality requirements, familiarity with operations and functions of a local school board.
- – Ability to work under pressure and make decisions in accordance with laws, policies, regulations, and established procedures.
- – Familiarity with legal software programs and requisite technological skills according to current requirements.
- – Familiarity with conducting legal research using web-based legal search services such as LexisNexis or Westlaw.
- – Familiarity with local, state and federal courts, as well as administrative agencies to include the EEOC, the Office of Civil Rights for the U.S. Dept of Education, the Department of Justice, and the Virginia Department of Education.
- – Ability to track litigation and administrative claims and assist School Board Attorney with oversight and communications with outside counsel and representatives of courts and administrative agencies relative to pending legal cases.
- – Working knowledge of basic principles of FERPA, FOIA, Subpoenas and Court Orders relating to custody and access to students/records, and ability to interpret the same and give preliminary guidance to principals and teachers.
You may apply anytime before midnight on the closing date. The following documents are requested:
- – Resume (required to be uploaded)
- – Feedback on reference forms from all persons listed as references (minimum of two)
Only complete applications will be considered.
Hampton City Schools does not discriminate in employment against any person on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender, age, disability or other protected class. Personnel decisions are based on merit and the ability to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Executive Director of Human Resources, One Franklin Street, Hampton, VA 23669; (757) 727-2300. Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request.