Job | Posted 23 days ago
|Job Title||Chef/Menu Planner|
|Department/Location||Child Nutrition Services|
|Supervisor||Operations Manager - Facilities|
|Salary Schedule||Middle Manager Salary Schedule|
|Contract Length||12 months (243 days)|
If you have questions regarding this position please contact Garth Hunt, Operations Manager, at (385) 646-8487 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily, with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, training, education, responsibilities, abilities; the machines, tools and equipment used; background; and any licenses or certifications required. Regular attendance and timeliness is an essential job function to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
The job of the Chef//Menu Planner is to share their knowledge and experience with employees under their supervision, delegate tasks, and ensure the quality of all food produced in the district kitchens. The Chef/Menu Planner plans the day’s menu and ensures food costs remain within budget. The position also assists with food preparation alongside other staff.
- Directs and oversees the operations of the central kitchen, including menu development, inventory and purchasing of supplies, cost control, and sanitation.
- Oversees catering departments – Central Kitchen and Granite Education Center Café.
- Creates and updates menus that are compliant with all United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) School Meals Program requirements.
- Creates and assists with catering menus, which will include board meeting dinners.
- Develop and maintain merchandising in catering locations.
- Tests and develops recipes.
- Monitors customer satisfaction.
- Responsible for supervising and training staff.
- Provides input to strategic decisions that affect the functional area of responsibility.
- Manages through subordinate managers and professionals in larger groups of moderate complexity.
- Resolves escalated issues arising from operations and requiring coordination with other departments.
- Assist in analyzing and updating Central Kitchen operation – recommendations on shift needs, equipment, and change of operation.
- Plan for and order USDA commodities to be utilized in menus annually.
- Research and develop Farm to Fork concepts in school menus.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively problem solve in a variety of scenarios and circumstances.
- Ability to make appropriate and successful decisions in an efficient manner.
- Knowledge of processes, and skills in conducting evaluations of employees and systems.
- Knowledge of organizational development and ability to achieve organizational goals.
- Abilities in administration of operational logistics, schedules, labor hours, purchasing, inventory, and rules/regulation compliance.
- Ability to develop and coordinate learning and development programs that build the capacity of department employees in areas of supervision, equipment use, and operations.
- Comprehensive knowledge of food preparation equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of food preparation regulations and safety.
- Ability to collaborate with other departments, constituents, and building level administrators.
- Ability to prepare and monitor budgets.
- Knowledge of financial reporting processes and procedures.
- Understanding of federal, state, and local food sanitation regulations.
- Knowledge of USDA Child Nutrition Programs preferred.
Required Education and Qualifications:
- Associate degree or higher in Culinary Arts or related field from a regionally accredited institution.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution is preferred.
Assigned Decision Making:
- Oversee employment processes of selection, training, work assignment, promotion, evaluation, discipline, and retention of assigned staff members.
- Coordinates with Child Nutrition Operations Managers
- Coordinates with other district departments, school site principals, and parents.
- Directly supervises Central Kitchen Production and Catering Employees, and Granite Education Center Café employees
- Contributes to overall preparation of annual budget.
- Work takes place in a typical office or active kitchen environment.
- Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation.
This list of essential and marginal functions and of physical requirements is not exhaustive and may be supplemented in accordance with the requirements of the job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to speak and/or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, and crouch.
- The employee is occasionally required to use hands to handle or feel objects and must occasionally climb or balance.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.