Please note that this posting closes at 3:00 pm on the date listed above.
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Bryan Breeze, Grounds Foreman, at (385)-646-4278 or email email@example.com
|Job Title||Groundskeeper III|
|Contract Length||12 months|
|Last Review Date||September 2020|
Under general supervision, provides training and direction to groundskeepers I and II and hourly employees. Installs, maintains, tests, troubleshoots, repairs and winterizes, and operates sump pumps, back-flow devices, sprinkler systems, and related equipment. Lays out, installs, repairs, and weld fences, backstops, and playground equipment. Prepares, grades, and compacts ground for a variety of uses. Lays, cuts, and replaces sod. Forms and finishes concrete for sidewalks, fence lines, mow strips, handicap ramps, etc. Operates construction trades and grounds equipment requiring CDL Class A licensure, including backhoe, dump truck, tractor trailer, skid steer, crane tractors, etc. Transports equipment and hauls soil, gravel, sand, playground surfacing materials, trash, etc. to designated areas. Operates snowplow, skid steer, backhoe, spreader, etc. to spread salt and remove snow and snow piles from parking lots and sidewalks. Maintains, orders, and tracks inventory. Preforms pre-trip vehicle inspections. Attendance, physical presence, and timeliness are required and are essential functions of this position.
- Performs a variety of grounds maintenance duties in a senior-level capacity.
- Trains and directs the work of Groundskeepers I and Groundskeepers II and other hourly employees.
- Operates construction trades and grounds equipment requiring CDL Class A licensure including backhoe, dump truck, tractor trailer, skid steer, crane tractors, etc.
- Operates industrial mowing equipment, trade specific machinery and power hand tools.
- Installs, maintains, tests, troubleshoots, repairs and/or winterizes backflow devices, sprinkler systems and related equipment; operates sump pumps.
- Lays out, installs, repairs, and/or welds fences, backstops, and playground equipment.
- Installs, replenishes, maintains and repairs playground surfacing, artificial turf, asphalt, etc.
- Prepares, grades, and compacts grounds for a variety of uses; lays, cuts, and replaces sod.
- Transports equipment and hauls soil, gravel, sand, playground surfacing materials, trash, etc. to designated areas.
- Forms and finishes concrete for sidewalks, fence lines, backstops, mow strips, handicap ramps, etc.
- Assists with installing and repairing masonry and tile surfaces.
- Plants, installs, grades, mows, aerates, trims and/or prunes lawns, trees, shrubs, plants and grounds.
- Sprays lawns, trees, shrubs and grounds with fertilizer, herbicides, and insecticides.
- Operates snowplow, skid steer, backhoe, spreaders, etc. to remove snow and snow piles from parking lots and sidewalks and spread salt.
- Maintains industrial mowing and snow removal equipment
- Maintains, orders and tracks inventory.
- Other duties as assigned*
*This description should not be construed to contain every function/responsibility that may be required to be performed by an employee assigned to this position. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of education, knowledge, and experience requirements; the machines, tools and equipment used; background; and any licenses or certifications required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Required Education and Qualifications
High school diploma or equivalent
Two (2) year of full-time grounds experience
Class A CDL license
Utah State Backflow Prevention license and/or Playground Certification
Required Prior Experience
Two (2) years of full-time grounds experience
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Skilled in the use of hand tools, small and large power tools, power equipment, gardening tools, pruning shears, etc.
- Knowledge is loading and securing equipment
- Skilled in all aspects of sprinkler systems; installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, repairs, etc.
- Knowledge of laying out, installing, repairing and maintaining playground equipment and surround surfaces.
- Skilled in welding of fences, backstops, playground equipment, etc.
- Skilled in preparing, forming and finishing concrete.
- Skilled in operating snowplow equipment.
- Knowledge of maintaining mowing, snow removal and other grounds equipment.
- Basic math skills.
- Basic written and oral communications and other interpersonal relations.
- Must keep abreast on changes in techniques relevant to this position.
Makes decisions concerning the best way to accomplish tasks assigned by the supervisors. Must take directions well and be able to work within specific guidelines. Makes suggestions but must be willing to follow directions. Concern for safety of self and others. Determines repairs and replacement of equipment as needed. Prioritize work for specific jobs assigned. Must be able to perform assigned tasks without on-site supervision.
Interactions with Others
Interacts positively with students, teachers, principals, and other district personnel.
May supervise hourly workers.
Financially responsible to maintain and track purchase card usage and follow purchasing guidelines.
Maintaining and tracking of inventory.
Subject to a variety of temperatures. Responds to district emergencies during irregular hours. May be subject to high locations, awkward positions, heat, noise, dirt, chemicals, and confined spaces. May have occasional stress from emergencies and in meeting deadlines. Interruptions may occur while performing work requiring accuracy and concentration.
Physical Requirements – Not limited to the following:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to speak and/or hear. Frequently required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, and crouch. Occasionally required to use hands to handle or feel and must occasionally climb or balance.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- Must be able to stand/sit for long periods of time
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 100 lbs.
Note: The list of essential and marginal functions and of physical requirements is not exhaustive and may be supplemented in accordance with the requirements of the job.