Forensic Sponsor - Bluestone Middle School
Job | Posted a month ago
- Instruct students in the fundamental skills, strategy and training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success.
- Provide instruction and guidance that will lead to the formulation and enhancement of self-confidence, self-discipline, good sportsmanship, acceptable social behavior, pride of accomplishment and moral values.
- Assist students with developing material to be used in competition (categories vary dependent on whether Middle or High School)
- Teaches students theories and skills underlying the various competition events
The coach is responsible for:
- Organizing a Forensics/drama team
- Overseeing weekly practice sessions as required for proficiency
- Establishing and monitoring practice/behavior standards required for students to enter tournaments and underlines dress code
- Guiding students through the process of choosing appropriate competition material
- Mastering the rules for competition and ensuring student understanding
- Coordinating transportation for competition (to include taking students to competition, as necessary)
- Coordinating and participating in fundraisers to support the program such as purchasing scripts, books, etc for competition material.
- Coordinating and facilitating VHSL competition as well as local league competitions/Invitationals (to include Saturday).
- Judging competitions, securing judges that are required for competing and training/educating coworkers on the rules of the sport as needed to judge competitions.
- Enforcing academic requirements, and verifying each student’s eligibility to participate in forensic activities.
- Reviewing evaluations provided by judges and motivating students to constantly improve
- Reviewing students’ speeches, cases and literary pieces to assess for coherent and convincing message – coaching and mentoring as necessary for continuous improvement
- Facilitating all administrative processes necessary for safety, legal compliance, permissions, etc, including but are not limited to:
Constructing permission forms and communicate weekly with parents
Monitoring grades of participating students to determine eligibility
Providing master eligibility list to athletic director
Participating in or conducting various informational meetings as required
Corresponding with host school providing necessary information such as student participants, categories, etc
- Ability to motivate and inspire others.
- Ability to serve as a positive role model.
- Demonstrates knowledge of skills associated with Esports.
- Possesses strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with team member and parents.
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Candidate should have knowledge of teaching and coaching techniques of the activity for which he/she is applying; prior experience as a participant on a middle/high school team, or the equivalent would be preferred; previous coaching experience in other sports will be considered.
- Candidate must complete all required information and background checks designated through the MCPS Policy Manual.
Type of Contract: Supplemental Extracurricular Activity Contract