Business Education Teacher (Cybersecurity focus)
Business Education Teacher (Cybersecurity focus)
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to develop students' business academics (e.g. reading, math, writing, etc.) and business skills (e.g. word processing, typing, bookkeeping, record keeping, office procedures, business communications, etc.), as well as an understanding of our American business system and Cybersecurity and its place in the nation's and world's economy; to provide knowledge needed for intelligent consumption of business services; to develop practical business skills for personal use or for use in business occupations; and to encourage students to develop work and personal habits essential for success in business. This position is transitioning from Computer Systems Technology I and II to Cybersecurity Systems Technology.
- Develops and administers business education curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction
- Teaches knowledge and skills in the following subjects to secondary students: typing, note-taking, bookkeeping, record-keeping, office procedures, business communications, data processing or basic business principles; assembling computer systems to include installation, configuration, and securing various operating systems; troubleshooting computers and peripherals and using system tools and diagnostic software; computer networking and resource sharing.
- Provides instruction on the use and development of skills in the use of office equipment, technology (including the use of computer network systems and applications, and business techniques such as those used in merchandising.
- Prepares appropriate instructional aids and display materials to enhance learning.
- Instructs students in use, care, and safe operation of business equipment.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research, and by maintaining professional relationships with members of the business community.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms with the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, especially within grade level, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Use standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Standard teacher work schedule as set forth in the Teachers' Unit Contract.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of business education curriculum and concepts.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Work in standard office and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this position.
- State Certification as required for position.
- Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
- Bachelor's from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Masters Degree preferred.
Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade level preferred.
FLSA Status: Exempt