Assistant School Nurse (Hillpoint/Pioneer Elementary)
Title: Assistant School Nurse
Hillpoint Elementary/Pioneer Elementary
Salary: $24,304 - $37,030
Position Purpose: Performs responsible paraprofessional work assisting the school nurse by providing care for ill and injured students; does related work as required. Work is performed under the regular supervision of the School Nurse.
This is light work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects; work requires standing, walking, and feeling.; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word, and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; visual acuity is required for color perception, peripheral vision, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside environmental conditions, and hazards. The worker may be exposed to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment.
This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, knowledge or skills associated with
- Providing nursing care and physical screening to students; assisting in the maintenance and operation of a school clinic.
- Performs health care services to students in school system;
- Performs nursing assessment of students sent to school health clinic;
- After observation and assessment, counsels student and reports problems observed to registered nurse;
- Administers medications and first-aid;
- Assists with screening and testing students for hearing and vision problems, height, weight and blood pressure;
- Keeps logs of visits and care given; maintains adequate clinic supplies;
- Performs related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of the common medical practices, procedures and techniques associated with a standard physical examination; some knowledge of the preliminary diagnosis of medical problems and the administration of medications related to treatment and first aid; ability to administer medications and apply therapeutic treatments as required; ability to follow technical oral and written instructions in exact detail; ability to maintain accurate records.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school.
Possession of a valid appropriate license as a Licensed Practical Nurse issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
This employer does not knowingly discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or national origin.