Responsible for administering all aspects of the total elementary school program for Roanoke City Public Schools by providing educational leadership for students and staff consistent with division goals
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude other duties if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this position. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job description. Other duties may be required and assigned.
Administers and evaluates the instructional program of the school to include:
· Organizing and conducting a program of instructional supervision and evaluation including classroom and teaching observations;
· Coordinating the use of subject matter specialists, resource teachers, and other resource personnel;
· Implementing curriculum and establishing educational objectives consistent with division goals;
· Developing an efficient system for student and program appraisal;
· Recommending changes as needed to meet student needs;
· Evaluating grading policies and student progress with members of the staff;
· Assisting teachers in planning field trips and using community resources;
· Developing the student master schedule;
· Participates (or assigns designee) in SBRT and/or Individualized Education Plan Meetings and ensures that all district policies and state and federal laws are followed for identification and services. This is done in conjunction with the Central Special Education Office and 504 coordinator.
· Facilitating teacher professional growth, recertification, career ladder planning, and activities.
Coordinates and administers student personnel services to include:
· Implementing and maintaining a code of acceptable student behavior;
· Coordinating and supervising student affairs including after school activities;
· Coordinating services to students such as guidance, health and special education ensuring that district, state and federal policies and procedures are followed;
· Approving student placements and programs;
· Supervising student record keeping.
Administers and evaluates staff personnel to include:
· Recruitment and selection;
· Assuring that necessary documentation regarding resignations and recommendations for hiring are processed in accordance with Board policy/division procedures;
· Assuring that recommendations for hiring are made based on the approved candidate pool and job-related criteria;
· Assuring that interviewers involved in the selection process are trained in accordance with Board policy.
Administers personnel policies and procedures to include:
o Assuring that teachers are assigned to areas in which they are endorsed or that teachers are making required progress toward this endorsement in accordance with Board policy.
· Performance Evaluation:
o Monitoring staff attendance and taking corrective measures if necessary;
o Setting performance standards for all staff which reflect expectations regarding job description responsibilities;
o Monitoring performance in accordance with approved evaluation procedures.
o Maintaining a safe work environment in accordance with approved procedures.
· Compensation and Leave:
o Complying with federal, state, and local requirements regarding maintenance of employee leave records and compensation for work performed.
o Working with staff in developing professional growth plans and providing opportunity for participation;
o Participating in required training and developing a personal professional development plan.
Performs financial functions of the school to include:
· Developing a school budget with the help of school faculty, staff, and parent representative;
· Monitoring expenditures and ensuring good fiscal management of school-based funds as appropriated by the School Board;
· Following the district’s approved purchasing procedures;
· Administering school-based accounting of student activity funds according to auditing guidelines;
· Approving all free and reduced-price lunch applications in accordance with Federal guidelines;
· Collecting textbook fees and other school-based fees.
Performs building functions of the school to include:
· Coordinating building rentals with the Office of Fiscal Services;
· Evaluating cleanliness and safety of school, coordinating with Building Operations;
· Maintaining furniture and equipment inventories;
· Supervising the use of the school and grounds by all agencies;
· Ordering necessary instructional materials, textbooks, and equipment and analyzing the usage of such materials.
Establishes and maintains an effective school\community relations program to include:
· Communicating with parents by means of school programs, letters, telephone, and personal contact;
· Participating in the activities of the Parent\Teacher Organization;
· Communicating and interpreting Division policies, procedures, and regulations;
· Utilizing school improvement teams to set objectives and evaluate programs;
· Coordinating and maintaining accreditation in accordance with the State of Virginia.
Establishes and maintains an effective school climate to include:
· Coordinating staff activities to reach consensus on how decisions at the school will be made;
· Providing feedback and support to teachers and other staff members on personal and professional needs;
· Resolving concerns on a timely basis;
· Informing staff members of pertinent issues of which they should be aware;
· Establishing procedures by which organizational improvements can be suggested and implemented;
· Establishing an effective communications program which includes opportunities for staff involvement, committees, individual conferences, and internal communication procedures.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Senior school administrative work typically performed in a school setting to include classrooms, cafeteria, and recreational areas. Regular coordination with school bus scheduling requiring outside activity in inclement weather is necessary. Visits to off-site school and city locations are required.
RCPS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in its programs and activities.