Coordinator - Payroll
This position, under the direction of the Director of Payroll, will be expected to play an integral role in ensuring that Roanoke City Public Schools employees are paid correctly and timely, and that all relevant reporting requirements are met. The Payroll Coordinator will be expected to perform technical accounting work in the operation of the payroll system, including processing, handling and controlling a broad range of payroll transactions and records. The Payroll Coordinator will also be expected to effectively communicate with employees and supervisors about payroll matters, and provide training on payroll processes.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude other duties if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this position. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job description. Other duties may be required and assigned.
· Processes a variety of payrolls through various phases, ensuring that proper information is assembled and correct payments are made. Ensures that correct forms, procedures, and/or systems are being used to capture and appropriately document time worked.
· Works with the Director of Payroll to develop and modify, as needed, processes for capturing accurate records of time worked.
· Provides leadership in the absence of the Director of Payroll to internal and external customers.
· Provides training to RCPS employees throughout the school division who play a role in processing or approving payroll, time and attendance, including, but not limited to, directors, principals, supervisors, and secretarial staff.
· Provides training and support to employees at large regarding electronic access to payroll information, and the electronic leave tracking system.
· Accurately records changes in rates, hours, and deductions in payroll records.
· Assists the Director with preparing checks/direct deposits and supporting documentation accurately and on schedule.
· Processes and records leave records.
· Stays abreast of payroll and tax procedural and regulatory changes.
· Prepares consolidated reports, summary reports, and payroll and tax reports.
· Prepares necessary reports for other governmental levels.
· Processes and reconciles employee fringe benefits including the Virginia Retirement System (VRS) and health/dental/life insurance contributions.
· Processes terminated employee benefits available, such as COBRA.
· Helps to maintain the employee database.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
Primarily controlled temperature and clean office environment.
Roanoke City Public Schools is an urban school division serving a k-12 student population of 13,500 in 17 elementary schools, 5 middle schools, 2 senior high schools, Forest Park Academy, Noel C Taylor Learning Academy, and Roanoke Valley Governor's School. A staff of 2,100 is employed in the division.
RCPS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in its programs and activities.