Middle School - Math Interventionist - Bluestone Middle School
Job | Posted a month ago
MIDDLE SCHOOL MATHEMATICS SPECIALIST - Bluestone Middle School
PROPOSAL - One mathematics specialist at each middle school for a total of two.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the academic progress and growth of mathematics students at the middle school level
- Help to strengthen skills that classroom teachers or administrators have identified as areas of need
- Provide direct small-group instruction for students as needed
- Promote and enhance mathematics instruction and student learning
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Work with administrators and teachers to improve student achievement through the improvement of instruction
- Collaborate with individual teachers or teams of teachers through co-planning, co-teacher, and coaching
- Support teachers in implementing effective teaching strategies
- Assist administrators and teachers with data analysis to determine instructional levels, appropriate materials, and effective grouping for instruction
- Assist administrators and teachers with data analysis and designing approaches to improve student achievement and instruction
- Promote teachers’ delivery and understanding of the curriculum through collaborative long-range and short range planning
- Facilitate teachers’ use of successful, research-based instructional strategies, including differentiated instruction for diverse learners
- Design and implement high-quality professional development through collaborative investigations or discussion groups with teachers for the assigned school and counterpart at other middle school
- Observe classroom instruction and provide non-evaluative feedback to teacher to improve instruction
- Engage in research-based professional development and applies learned professional development practices including: modeling, mentoring, peer coaching, study groups and lesson study
- Assist in development of curriculum, lesson planning, and assessment resources
- Monitor classroom assessments for alignment to the VDOE curriculum framework, including cognitive levels of learning, and to the MCPS pacing guide
- Support leadership development in school improvement that stimulates sustained, systematic change and improvement
- Promote culturally responsive teaching practices
- Maintain confidentiality regarding students, employees, and private information
- Perform other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Strong knowledge of instructional classroom strategies and classroom management, student academic success and assessment, remediation activities/strategies, and data use, analysis, interpretation and display; strong communication, organizational, and writing skills; ability to motivate, encourage, challenge students to participate in intervention; demonstrate initiative and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously; leadership qualities to provide professional development; knowledge of the school improvement process; and knowledge of the Virginia Standards of Learning, curriculum framework, and local pacing guides.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Masters degree with a math specialist endorsement preferred. Five years of mathematics teaching experience in a school setting. A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Ten month contract (subject to grant-funding)