Transition Counselor - (Seventh through Tenth grade)
Title: Transition Counselor: Seventh through Tenth grade
Reports To: Principal
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: To assist students in establishing educational, career, and personal/social goals which are attainable and to provide assistance in developing plans
for achieving those goals
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Addresses learning loss among all students in seventh through tenth grade by implementing evidence based activities to meet the comprehensive
needs of students via virtual learning and in-person
2. Ensures that students can recover learning due to school closure and be exposed to critical thinking skills
3. Differentiates learning options necessary to advance the profile of a Virginia student learner
4. Facilitates services for students who have not earned enough credits to matriculate to the next grade
5. Establishes long and short range goals based on student needs, district, state and curriculum mandates
6. Provides information and counseling in the areas of career exploration and selection
7. Provides appropriate activities for students
8. Coordinates the proper maintenance of student records as required by law, system policy,and administrative regulations; and serves
as a resource to other school personnel in the use and interpretation of records.
9. Coordinates sessions with students for private counseling.
10. Confers with parents whenever necessary.
11. Performs other duties as may be assigned by the administration.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
1. Holds a Master’s Degree
2. Holds a valid Virginia Certification with an endorsement of School Counselor
3. Has a minimum of three years successful experience as a School Counselor (preferred)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Virginia Certification
Valid Driver's License
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, stoop and kneel. Lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
222 days-employment. Salary to be determined by the School Board.
Performance of the position will be evaluated annually in accordance with the provisions of the Prince Edward County School Board’s policy on evaluation of professional personnel.