CGS Program Counselor
Please note: The Commonwealth Governor’s School is a regional program between Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania, and Stafford counties for gifted and highly motivated students. This position is currently employed through Spotsylvania County Public Schools as they are the regional program fiscal agent. If the fiscal agent were to change to another county in the future, then the employer of record would change to the county assuming the responsibilities as new fiscal agent.
Job Summary: CGS is currently seeking a full-time highly qualified counselor to work with gifted, talented, and highly motivated students in our regional program. Our goal for our CGS students is that they recognize the strengths inherent to their giftedness and highly developed work ethic, and they are able to fully process and engage in a growth mindset as they develop as adolescent learners. The primary purpose of this position is to support the students as they progress in our rigorous program and provide them with assistance to allow them to thrive while enrolled and to complete the program once admitted.
The role of the CGS Counselor is to help students set educational, career, and personal development goals. The CGS Counselor will do so by completing the following duties and responsibilities:
- educate students about resources and services by making presentations and/or meeting individually with students,
- intervene with individual and programmatic supports that encourage student persistence,
- assist with career assessment and post-secondary planning,
- employ a variety of assessments, online resources, and career software tools to assist students as appropriate,
- create a supportive learning environment for all students that encourages social interaction, active engagement in learning, and self-motivation,
- coach students through the process of applying and receiving financial aid to the most selective and extremely selective colleges and universities,
- organize field experiences that allow students to tour and experience local and regional college campuses firsthand,
- provide information and encouragement for unique student opportunities that are well suited for high-achieving students,
- support students with review and remediation resources in preparation of SAT, ACT, and AP testing,
- participate in sessions with teachers, other personnel, families, and the student relative to instruction, supports, and action steps for assistance,
- counsel students individually and in groups to assist in problem-solving and decision-making of a personal, social, emotional, academic, educational, or vocational nature,
- teach students appropriate coping mechanisms and skills to positively manage anxiety and perfectionism, traits often displayed by gifted students,
- provide interventions and/or individual counseling for struggling students referred by faculty, peers, administrators, or who are self-referred,
- provide targeted support for students currently on CGS Plans of Success due to academic probation status or academic progress concerns,
- assist students with identifying strategies to facilitate successful program completion,
- connect families to federal/state/local community resources as needed,
- consult with school staff and parents and refer students for specialized services,
- assist students and families in distress or dealing with mental health concerns to connect with appropriate resources in the community for stabilization and constructive resolution to presenting issues,
- perform related duties as assigned by the CGS Regional Director in accordance with school policies and procedures.
Education & Experience
- Master’s in Counseling, Student Development, Social Work, or related field
- Ability to effectively counsel and assist diverse student and family populations
- Preferred - Knowledge and experience working with the unique characteristics and population of gifted, talented, highly-motivated, and high-achieving students
- Will be required to travel to all six sites across the CGS program in Stafford, Spotsylvania, King George, and Caroline Counties
- May be required to attend professional development, conferences, etc. as available
Salary: This is an 11-month position; starting TBD. Additional compensation awarded for credits earned toward advanced degrees. New employees to Spotsylvania County will be compensated for up to 20 years of experience.
How to Apply: Follow all instructions to complete a Licensed application