Graphic Designer & Communication Specialist(21/22SY)
DEFINITION: Works closely with the Director of Public Information and responsible for establishing and preserving the integrity of the district brand through the design and layout of district marketing and communications materials. The position will be instrumental in the development and execution of marketing campaigns, print publications and managing district social media accounts as well as assisting in event planning.
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class).
- Designs layout and graphics for all district marketing materials
- Manages district social media accounts by way of a content calendar and helps ensure that content is up to date, accurate and visually appealing
- Updates and/or designs communication materials including but not limited to: brochures, district calendars annual publications, and others as needed
- Plans, researches, writes, edits and produces marketing materials
- Provides crisis communication support including content, assistance with rapid notification on social media and other support as needed
- Helps distribute information through the parent messaging system or district wide emails
- Assists with the development of a district wide internal and external communication plan
- Helps to promote the district’s message and shape public image
- Analyzes the effectiveness and efficiency of communications and proposes innovative communication approaches that enhance the district’s ability to engage diverse internal and external audiences in a cost-effective manner
- Establishes and maintains archive files for the district, including historical information
- Assists with special promotions, communications issues and events including community meetings, special events, dedications, banquets, celebrations, etc.
- Establishes and maintains positive and professional relationships with schools, community and other departments
- Frequently engages and collaborates with fellow department staff to ensure cohesiveness of department’s communications efforts
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
Knowledge of District policies and procedures
Excellent written and spoken communication skills
Strong alignment with the mission and vision of the organization, positive work culture and public education in general
Ability to apply design principles in order to produce quality publications and marketing materials and graphics
Ability to lead and initiate communication and work closely with other departments, schools, administrators, employees, students and the public
Proficient in both MAC and PC platforms
Ability to manage multiple projects independently and effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
Strong understanding of communications, marketing and customer service principles
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Work is performed in an indoor environment. Work requires frequent sitting, bending, repetitive motion, attention to detail, may require some lifting.
Three years of graphic design, public relations or marketing experience
Proven Graphic Design experience
Proficiency in layout and the pre-production process of preparing files for print
Highly proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign)
Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, Graphic Design, Public Relations, or related field
Experience working with community agencies, business leaders and community
Experience in social media management and content development
Additional certifications may also be required as specified by the District.
Fluency in both Spanish and English (ability to speak, read, write and translate fluently)
Depending on the needs of the District, some incumbents in this class must be able to demonstrate fluency in both Spanish and English as a condition of employment.
Salary Grade: PNT Grade 6; $45,484 - $63,689 FTE: 1.0 Days: 260 Start Date: 2021/2022 School Year