OKC Blended Learning Center Paraprofessional 2021-2022
Epic Charter Schools
Job Title: Blended Learning Center Paraprofessional
Reports To: Principal
We are a unique learning environment that provides a non-traditional educational setting utilizing Internet-based, individualized self-paced instruction provided at our Blended Learning Centers. Epic Learning Center Paraprofessionals (paras) work in our learning center facility and assist our BLC teachers with many instructional and non-instructional tasks.
Paraprofessionals assist, support, and work closely with teachers, administrators, and other team members in providing educational benefit for students as well as assisting with non-instructional tasks.
Successful candidates should also have the following experiences and characteristics:
- Have an eagerness to learn and a growth mindset;
- Hold exceptionally high standards for the quality of work and a reflex to improve at every turn;
- Have well-developed emotional intelligence and moral character;
- Possess an ability to build strong relationships, thoughtfully navigate challenging situations, and get excellent results from others; and
- Have problem-solving and clear communication skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Works with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of materials or skills initially introduced and outlined by certified staff.
- Assists the certified staff in devising special strategies for reinforcing learning materials and skills based on a sympathetic understanding of individual students, their needs, interests, and abilities.
- Monitors work, corrects papers, and supervises curriculum-based testing and makeup work as assigned by the certified staff.
- Serves as the chief source of information and help to any guest teacher assigned in the absence of the regular certified staff.
- Performs clerical, classroom maintenance, and instructional duties as assigned by the certified staff.
- Alerts the certified staff to any problem or special information about an individual student.
- Performs assigned supervision of students during lunch periods, play periods, and on field trips.
- Performs assigned non-instructional classroom duties, such as snack time, toileting, and clothing routines.
- When requested, serves as a resource person to the General Education Team and/or IEP / Title 1 / ESL Team(s).
- Demonstrates ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students in school environment and community.
- Participates in in-service training programs as approved.
- Maintains safe working environment and encourages colleagues to be safety minded in the performance of all school-related duties.
- Performs other such duties / assignments as directed by the certified staff.
- Assists as directed by certified staff in the effort to successfully maintain students with special needs in an integrated setting, as determined by the IEP / Title 1 / ESL Team(s).
- Report suspected child abuse/neglect
- There are no supervisory responsibilities for this position.
Education and/or Experience
- OSDE paraprofessional certification required
- Experience as a paraprofessional in a classroom preferred.
- The ability to work and interact with all other school personnel and students in a cooperative, collaborative and courteous manner.
- The ability to safely, accurately and efficiently follow verbal and written instructions.
- The ability to understand, demonstrate knowledge of, and follow all Epic policies, rules and procedures pertinent to the assigned position and duties.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Resolve issues and conflicts
- Strong technology skills in up-to-date computer software including Zoom, word processing and spreadsheets
- Current on new instructional technologies
- Ability to coach and mentor students 4-14
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others
- Demonstrates self-discipline and initiative
- Passionate commitment to the mission of school choice
- Ability to maintain professional confidentiality and comply with FERPA guidelines
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to communicate effectively with students, families and coworkers, both verbally and in writing. Ability to effectively present information to students, families and supervisor.
Basic math skills required
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Google applications, Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Must have a high aptitude to learn new software as necessary for the business operations of the school.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Current driver's license and valid car insurance
- Valid Oklahoma Paraprofessional Certificate
- Google Certification Preferred
- Must be able to pass a state-mandated background check after a conditional offer of employment is made
- Must have favorable employment references
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Epic BLC paraprofessionals work onsite at our Blended Learning Centers. The noise level is quiet to loud (when students are present.)