Director of Accounting
Job Title: Director of Accounting
Contract Length: 240 Days
Job Classification: Exempt
Directs and coordinates activities concerned with financial administration of support services, including maintenance, transportation, construction, food service; and supervises budget preparation.
The minimum performance expectations include, but are not limited to, the following functions/tasks:
1. Directs/coordinates preparation of the budget.
2. Prepares financial reports, final annual reports and all interim reports on ADM, etc.
3. Enters and reconciles general ledger cash balances for all funds with Treasurer’s cash balances on a monthly basis.
4. Issues month-end and year-end journal entries and annual fiscal year-end close-out processes.
5. Coordinates scheduling, preparation, and implementation of school activity funds audit.
6. Prepares and submits the 1099’s.
7. Classifies expenditures in general ledger.
8. Monitors transactions and account balances in the central financial management system.
9. Process all accounts payable.
10. Completes all Medicaid Admin Claims.
11. Completes Maintenance of Effort Report for Special Education.
12. Processes all Federal grant reimbursements.
13. Secures the required bonding on School Board employees.
14. Attends School Board meetings and prepares reports, as requested by the Superintendent of Schools.
15. Supervises bidding for materials, supplies, equipment, etc.
16. Maintains accurate pupil accounting records and reporting, as it related to the Annual School Report.
17. Administers board insurance programs.
18. Supervises individual school accounting records and booking procedures.
19. Administers the scholastic pupil insurance plan.
20. Supervises the per-pupil allowances for supplies, equipment, etc..
21. Assists the Superintendent in authorizing the building principals’ requested purchases.
22. Stays informed of current educational trends and programs for school finance.
23. Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
24. Assumes responsibility for professional growth and keeps materials, supplies, and skills up-to-date.
- Performs related duties as assigned by the Superintendent of Schools in accordance with the school/system policies and practices.
1. Stays informed of developments and research pertaining to effective schools.
2. Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or other appropriate administrator aligned with the mission and vision of Essex County Public Schools.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified, to perform the essential functions.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
Candidate must be a graduate of an accredited college or university. Candidate must have a minimum of five years in the accounting field, including supervisory experience.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, to enter data into a computer terminal/typewriter, and to perform; see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal classroom levels, outdoors and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in normal classrooms, outdoors and on the telephone; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds to shoulder height; to bend, to stoop, to sit on the floor, to climb stairs, to walk and to reach overhead.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Duties are normally performed in an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.