TEMPORARY Paraprofessional (Instructional)
Temporary (April – June)
Supports the instructional program as directed by administrators and/or teachers. Assist the special education and/or classroom teacher by performing assigned duties related to the learning process as outlined in students' educational plans such as assembling and preparing instructional materials and reinforcing instruction under the direction/supervision of the teacher or building administrator.
- Associates Degree or higher preferred; or High school diploma or equivalent with additional 48 semester credit hours from accredited institutions; or High School Diploma or equivalent with addition of passing a rigorous test as approved by VDOE or CCPS.
- Ability to work successfully with administrators, teachers, and school officials.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision performing a variety of complex and routine tasks.
- Performs assigned duties related to the instructional program(s) and the student learning process.
- Participates in staff development activities related to area of assignment.
- Conduct small group instruction and/or substitute for the classroom teacher under the direction and guidance of the administrators and/or teachers.
- Skill in handling varied, multiple duties.
- Maintain confidentiality with regard to student records and information
- Monitors students under the direction/supervision of the administrators and/or teachers.
- Performs bus, cafeteria, hall, playground duty or other non-instructional assignments under the direction of the building administrators.
- Assists the teacher in the maintenance of a safe, clean, and attractive classroom.
- Models non-discriminatory behavior at all times and follows established safe work practices.
- Follows established CCPS policies and procedures at all time.
- Ability to assist in the implementation of an instructional program and to participate in monitoring and ensuring appropriate student behavior, including outdoor activity areas, gymnasiums, etc.
- Assists teacher in maintaining a safe and orderly classroom environment; supervisors students who cannot participate in first instruction due to in appropriate conduct.
- Contributes to a safe educational and working environment by participating in all drills and training and being prepared to take action should a health or safety emergency occur;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential performance responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified, to perform the essential functions.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Must have the ability to sit for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, to enter data into a computer terminal; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in person and on the telephone; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Duties are normally performed in an office environment.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Through June 2021 school year - $15 per hour.
Performance on this job will be evaluated in accordance with school board policy and administrative regulations on evaluation of non-licensed personnel.
APPROVED BY SUPERINTENDENT
5/17/16 , 5/9/20 updated 3/23/2021
JOB DESCRIPTION PREPARED BY
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The Charles City County School Board (“School Board”) is an equal opportunity employer, committed to nondiscrimination in recruitment, selection, hiring, pay, promotion, retention or other personnel actions affecting employees or candidates for employment. Therefore, discrimination in employment against any person on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, political affiliation, sex, gender, gender identity, age, marital status, genetic information or disability is prohibited. Personnel decisions are based on merit and the ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
The Charles City County Public Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this position description and related duties at any time