Title: Transportation Clerk/Dispatcher
Salary Range: $21,751 - $33,044
Under the general supervision of the Director of Transportation, performs intermediate clerical work requiring a qualified telephone operator and typist; does related work as required.
- Communicating with school officials and parents concerning transportation matters.
- Answers telephone, greets the public and provides information.
- Receives and records messages.
- Secures substitute bus drivers in the absence of regular bus drivers; ensures substitutes have proper route and student information.
- Maintains a log of concerns and complaints involving bus routes and/or bus drivers.
- Communicates with drivers concerning mechanical, route, student, and school related issues.
- Dispatches mechanics to buses when required;
- Records daily leave activity.
- Operates standard office machines including word processor and computer.
- Dispatches buses to various locations.
- Maintains and monitors two-way radio system for the purpose of dispatching.
- Enters information into the school messenger program.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- General knowledge of standard office practices, procedures and equipment;
- General knowledge of telephone courtesy;
- General knowledge of school bus transportation and school routine;
- General knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Drive.
- General knowledge of City of Suffolk roads and neighborhoods.
- Skill in the use of computer equipment; ability to give directions.
- Ability to meet the public effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard school bus environment.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school supplemented by courses in business and typing and some experience in office technology.
- Possession of an appropriate driver's license valid in the Commonwealth of Virginia
FLSA Status: Nonexempt