Director of Human Resources
Title: Director of Human Resources
Reports To: Superintendent
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: To improve the quality of instruction and facilitates learning through effective staff selection and assignment; ensures division compliance with federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and policies, and facilitates an effective Human Resources Program/services for all employees of the Division.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Plans and develops a program for recruitment and selection of qualified personnel.
2. Coordinates administrative and supervisory participation in the personnel selection process; and interviews and recommends qualified applicants to the Superintendent for job
3. Administers, supervises, and interprets licensure regulations and procedures; and notifies professional personnel of licensure renewal.
4. Prepares and issues contracts for professional and classified staff.
5. Maintains and follows Library of Virginia Records Retention and Disposition Schedule for personnel files.
6. Manages multiple Human Resources database systems (e.g. Absent Management, Professional Growth, Recruiting and Hiring) for the purpose of ensuring systems are
functioning, providing accurate/timely information data.
7. Maintains up to date position descriptions for all jobs.
8. Develops and monitors all hiring practices to ensure compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
9. Directs employee background and fingerprint process for the purpose of ensuring District is in compliance with applicable state and federal regulations.
10. Manages the database system for all leaves of absences, coordinates payroll system information, and monitors the process of staff evaluations.
11. Consults and advises perspective retirees regarding the Virginia Retirement application process.
12. Directs overall substitute onboarding and training program (e.g. Substitute oversite, training, Frontline System) for the purpose of ensuring adequate teachers are available on
a daily basis.
13. Processes claims received from the Virginia Employment Commission.
14. Oversees the Worker’s Compensation Program for the purpose of ensuring all work related injuries are properly reported, employees receive necessary safety information,
and medical treatment.
15 Coordinates and monitors the division’s new teacher induction program.
16. Assists the Compliance Officer in conducting investigations, compiling information, and preparing reports of findings.
17. Attends professional growth sessions for the purpose of keeping his/her professional human resources knowledge current with changing laws and regulations.
18. Performs other duties as may be assigned
Secretary to Human Resources
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
1. Must possess a Master’s Degree in Administration and Supervision or Human Resource Management
2. A valid Virginia Postgraduate Professional Certificate (preferred)
3. Holds the Society for Human Resources Management Certification - SHRM (preferred)
4. Minimum of five years successful experience in education or two to three years of HR experience
5. Minimum three years successful supervisory experience, preferably as a building Administrator (preferred)
6. Has knowledge of personnel selection, hiring procedures, and school law
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES
Must demonstrate the ability and professional and personal characteristics necessary for working effectively with school personnel and members of the community. Must possess knowledge of and experience with applicable laws, regulations, and emerging practices pertaining to assigned responsibilities, including current issues and trends in education and human resources activities. Must have excellent writing and public speaking skills, outstanding organizational and planning abilities, flexibility to work effectively with individuals and groups, problem solving and conflict resolution skills and strong leadership skills.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Master’s degree or higher in educational administration or Human Resource Management from an accredited university
Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) certificate (preferred)
Valid Virginia driver’s license
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and other office equipment. Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone.
Seeing to read, prepare and review various materials.
Sitting for extended periods of time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Twelve-month employment. Salary to be determined by the current administrative salary schedule.
Performance of the position will be evaluated annually in accordance with the provisions of the Prince Edward County School Board’s policy on evaluation of professional personnel.
Revised: May 2006, December 2020, February 2021
Approved: School Board