Job | Posted 2 months ago
TITLE: Guidance Counselor
This position is __X___ exempt or _______ non-exempt
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Assume responsibility for delivery of guidance counseling services in the school setting.
REPORTS TO: School Principal
- Professional license with endorsement in guidance at the appropriate level (elementary, middle, or high school).
- Possesses high moral standards and integrity. Demonstrates a willingness to work with all students. Ability to quickly learn procedures used to report information and maintain records. Ability to prepare required written reports.
- Support students to understand and deal with developmental issues
- Instruct students in strategies for making decisions and choices
- Help students to identify and develop their special talents
- Work with students on an individual or group basis to resolve student-identified areas of concern
- Consult with teachers on issues related to student learning
- Serves as a contributing member on school-based trans-disciplinary teams, to include special education
- Interpret the school’s mission to students, parents, and other community members
- Collects, organizes and analyzes information about individuals through records, tests, interviews, and professional sources, to appraise their interests, aptitudes, abilities, and personality characteristics, for vocational and education planning
- Protect student confidentiality
- Handle issues which are highly sensitive and/or related to student safety in accordance with the American School Counselor Association’s Ethical Standards for School Counselors and School Board Policy
- Interpret educational information (ability and aptitude measures, standardized test scores, and other pertinent data) to students, parents, other school division personnel
- Provide crisis counseling to students in need
- Identifies students with special needs
- Confer with parents about their own children or about developmental issues
- Provide professional development activities for the division as requested
- Make appropriate referrals to other school division personnel or community agencies
- Inform parents and/or appropriate authorities when a student’s condition indicates a clear and imminent danger to himself or others in accordance with the American School Counselor Association’s Ethical Standards for School Counselors
- Acts as a liaison between school and community agencies in working on student problems
- Works closely with classroom teachers in planning and implementing group guidance sessions based on the development needs of all students
- Assists with SOL testing as needed
- Schedule student classes
- Performs other duties as assigned
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary according to School Board Pay Plan. 200 Day Contract.
EVALUATION: Performance will be evaluated in accordance with school board policy and administrative regulations on evaluation of certificated personnel.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The guidance counselor will be required to follow any other instructions and duties as assigned by the school administrator. Richmond County Public Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description and related duties at any time.
Richmond County Public Schools
92 Walnut Street , Warsaw, VA 22572
At the following locations
Richmond County School Board
92 Walnut Street , Warsaw, VA 22572
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $11,724
% ELL Students
State Average: 9%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 14.22
% IEP Students
State Average: 13%
State Average: 801