Food Service Worker
School Food Service Worker
Provide support to the food service activities at assigned location with specific responsibilities for preparing and distributing food items; providing complete and accurate documentation and audit trails for meals served and food items purchased; maintaining food service facilities in a safe and sanitary condition.
High school diploma or equivalent and possess a valid Virginia operator’s license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Assists in preparation of food items for student consumption.
• Arranges food and beverage items (placing in steam tables, filling racks, mobile carts) for the purpose of making items available to students and staff.
• Cleans utensils, equipment, and the storage, food preparation, and serving areas to maintain sanitary conditions.
• Assists with the kitchen inventory of supplies.
• Collects payments for food items from students and staff utilizing the POS system; utilizes strong cash handling skills.
• Provides excellent customer service.
• Inspects food items and work areas, checking hygiene and proper food temperatures, to prevent food borne illnesses
• Assists in training new workers in kitchen operations.
• Reviews dietary notes of students to determine if he/she has any food allergies.
• Responds to inquiries of students and staff.
• Complies with health and food safety regulations.
• Knowledge of inventory control and working knowledge of computers.
• Possess excellent organizational skills.
• Willing to work flexible hours and must be able to work from written instructions.
• Sufficient strength, agility, and dexterity and oral and written communication skills required to perform all performance responsibilities.
• Ability to work well with people and maintain a pleasant and positive attitude and to maintain and react to flexible work schedules.
• Ability to quickly learn procedures used to report information and maintain records to prepare required written and electronic reports
School Cafeteria Manager and Director of Operations
• Knowledge of food preparation, kitchen operations, and equipment.
• Ability to read and follow recipe directions.
• Ability to perform basic math functions.
• Familiarity with health regulations and proper safe handling of food.
• Ability to function well under pressure.
• Maintain good personal hygiene.
• Ability to maintain accurate records.
• Ability to maintain a good working relationship with students, parents, and staff.
• Ability to stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to lift approximately 50 pounds.
• Serve as role model.
• Protects the confidentiality of students as requires
• Contributes to a safe educational and working environment by participating in all drills and training and being prepared to take action should a health or safety emergency occur.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Must have the ability to sit for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, to enter data into a computer terminal; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in person and on the telephone; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Duties are normally performed in an office environment.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Workers - 180-184 days per year; 6.00 hours / day
Managers – 180 – 184 days per year; 7 hours / day
Salary according to School Board Pay Plan.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with School Board policy and administrative regulations on evaluation of non-licensed personnel.
APPROVED BY SUPERINTENDENT
February 19, 2016 Updated 12/2/19
JOB DESCRIPTION PREPARED BY:
Director of Human Resources he preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The employee signature below constitutes the employee's understanding of the requirements, essential functions and duties of the position and has agreed that they are capable of and willing to perform in a reasonable manner the activities involved in the job and role for which they have offered.
Name (Print): _________________________________
The Charles City County School Board (“School Board”) is an equal opportunity employer, committed to nondiscrimination in recruitment, selection, hiring, pay, promotion, retention or other personnel actions affecting employees or candidates for employment. Therefore, discrimination in employment against any person on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, political affiliation, sex, gender, gender identity, age, marital status, genetic information or disability is prohibited. Personnel decisions are based on merit and the ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
The Charles City County Public Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this position description and related duties at any time.