GEAR Up Tutor
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Stan Drasutis, Hunter High Gear Up Coordinator, at (385)-646-5360 or email email@example.com
Hours per week: Please contact Mr. Drasutis on specifics.
Work with students on Math.
|Job Title||GEAR Up Tutor|
|Department||College & Career Readiness|
|Salary Schedule||Classified Hourly|
|Last Review Date||June 2020|
GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) is a federally funded program designed to help students prepare for and succeed in college. GEAR UP partners with the AVID program which is within all our GEAR UP schools. AVID (Advancement via Individual Determination) is a system that targets potential college students who need support. AVID prepares students by teaching them college readiness skills. Students are enrolled in advanced courses and given academic support through tutors. Attendance and physical presence are required and is an essential function of this position.
- Tutors must attend training classes and will utilize the AVID learning strategies while tutoring during the school year
- Work with small groups of middle school and/or high school students
- Determine from student notes and discussions, the concepts that need to be taught or reviewed
- Evaluate student binders, including calendars, class & textbook notes, etc.
- Become familiar with the materials in the AVID Curriculum Libraries
- Become familiar with the textbooks and materials used by AVID students
- Conduct tutorial sessions in the AVID Elective classroom.
- Conduct mini lessons in the process of writing in all subject areas, study skills, and other aspects of college preparations
- Set an example of personal excellence and high expectations for AVID students to follow
- Work with students in any phase of the writing process, such as brainstorming, clustering, revision, and editing TRF’s
- Communicate frequently and debrief with the AVID coordinator/teacher regarding student progress and areas of concern
- Attend AVID Training regularly throughout the school year.
- Tutors will be trained in the Socratic tutorial method and will receive ongoing feedback and assistance with implementing AVID resources
- Other duties as assigned*
Required Knowledge and Skills
Basic reading, writing and math skills.
Ability to interact positively with students.
Ability to assist students in a variety of situations that may arise.
Required Education and Qualifications
High school diploma or equivalent.
Current college student/graduate or experience in college.
Required Prior Experience
Interactions with Others
Positive interaction of students, teachers, support personnel and administrators.
Supervision of students being supported.
Work setting is mainly in the classroom setting. May be asked to work inside and outside the building to accomplish assigned tasks. Working conditions can be in hot and cold weather. May experience stress from disruptive students and/or groups of students.
Physical Requirements – Not limited to the following:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to speak and/or hear. Frequently required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, and crouch. Occasionally required to use hands to handle or feel and must occasionally climb or balance.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- Must be able to stand or sit for long periods of time
Note: The list of essential and marginal functions and of physical requirements is not exhaustive and may be supplemented in accordance with the requirements of the job.