Special Education Aid
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES Perform responsible human support and paraprofessional work assisting classroom teachers or other professionals to achieve instructional objectives; assisting students with disabilities with achieving established goals and with personal care and mobility.
ESSENTIAL TASKS (These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
• Assist classroom teacher in performing specific duties as assigned or undertaking specialized tasks to achieve and enhance instructional and behavioral objectives.
• Work with individuals, small groups, or large groups as assigned teacher.
• Assist with behavior modification as assigned by teacher.
• Lift, move, and operate adaptive equipment.
• Escort students as assigned by teacher or administrator.
• Assist students with mobility needs such as, lifting and positioning students, lifting in and out of wheelchairs; loading and unloading on the bus; transporting students in and around the school and on field trips.
• Monitor students during assigned periods within a variety of school environments for the purpose of maintaining a safe and positive learning environment
• Provide programmed practice activities and repetitions as developed by teacher, therapist or pathologist.
• Report student concerns directly and expeditiously to teacher and assist with student resolution.
• Maintain various records and files.
• Perform related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
General knowledge of the practices, methods and techniques used in the teaching of special education population; ability to maintain files and information; skill in the use of classroom and instructional equipment; ability to operate audio visual, standard office, word and data processing equipment; ability to operate adaptive equipment; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with teachers, parents, students, and administrators.