5th Grade Math Teacher
Job Title: Elementary School Teacher (K-5) (FLSA: Exempt)
Job Objectives: Germantown Municipal School District’s elementary school teacher staff members are expected to provide best instructional practices in ensuring that students have a quality educational experience evident by socio-emotional growth and academic achievement.
Tennessee licensure and/or licensure eligibility in the state of Tennessee.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Teach and instruct in subject matter areas commonly found in a comprehensive elementary school education program.
- Utilize an adopted course of study, instructional program guidelines, and other materials in planning and developing lesson plans and teaching outlines.
- Pursue a variety of methodology in teaching and instructing pupils, including lectures, demonstrations, discussions, and laboratory experiences.
- Conduct teaching and instructional activities, using educational equipment, materials, books, and other learning aids.
- Provides instruction in citizenship and other subject matter specified by legal mandate, District policy, and administrative regulations.
- Plan, develop, and utilize a variety of instructional materials and aids appropriate to the intellectual and instructional level of pupils from varied socio-economic and cultural backgrounds, and who possess a range of mental and emotional maturity.
- Review, analyze and evaluate the history, background and assessment of pupils in designing instructional programs to meet individual educational needs.
- Individualize and adapt educational processes and procedures to enhance pupil educational opportunities.
- Provide group and individual instruction to motivate pupils, and effectively utilize the time available for instructional activities.
- Maintain appropriate standards of pupil behavior, using behavioral management strategies and techniques, including positive reinforcement and behavior shaping procedures.
- Review, analyze, evaluate, and report pupil academic, social, and emotional growth.
- Prepare, administer, score, record, and report the results of criterion referenced tests, and administer, scores, records and reports the results of group-standardized tests in evaluating pupil growth and progress.
- Counsel, confer with and communicate with parents, school and District personnel regarding pupil progress, and in the interpretation of the educational program.
- Cooperatively pursue alternative solutions to ameliorate pupil-learning problems, and to enhance expanded academic, social and emotional growth opportunities.
- Maintain an effective learning environment through the proper control of heating, lighting, and ventilation, and the utilization of exhibits, displays, and independent study centers.
- Select and requisition appropriate educational supplies, materials, books, equipment, and learning aids.
- Perform a variety of non-instructional duties, including curriculum and instructional development activities, student supervision, and consultation activities.
- Perform the job in accordance with the Teacher Evaluation Plan as established by the District and approved by the State Department of Education
- Passionately believes that all students can achieve at high levels.
- Demonstrates cultural competence and a deep understanding of and empathy for issues facing contemporary families.
- Deep understanding of the various school environments and commitment to improving student achievement.
- Works successfully alone or on a team.
- Makes decisions using data and technology.
- Exhibits strong focus on goals and results. Sets clear metrics for success.
- Motivates, inspires, and moves students to action to achieve ambitious goals.
Working Conditions: Exposure to the following situations may range from remote to frequent based on circumstances and factors that may not be predictable.
Standard classroom environment