Job | Posted 15 days ago
|Supervisor:||Mr. Darrin Wills, Director of Transportation|
|Employment Period:||12 months|
|Hiring Range:||$46,659 -- $62,323|
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates the transportation services and supervisory support for bus drivers, attendants and approximately twenty schools.
- Investigates accidents and parent complaints.
- Is the liaison between schools, parents, students and community members.
- Provides support to the special needs community by working with the drivers and attendants in conjunction with the special needs coordinator to ensure that transportation modifications are in compliance with each student’s IEP.
- Attends meetings and events as needed or requested.
- Directly supervises and evaluates bus drivers, lot attendants, and bus attendants.
- Participates in the process of evaluating the safety of student bus stops and routes in conjunction with schedules.
- Enforces the standards for pre- and post-trip safety inspections.
- Provides documentation and investigative notes from meetings, accidents, incidents, and confrontations from students, parents and school personnel.
- Maintains information on evacuation drills, annual compliance meetings, education, and retraining of policies that drivers need.
- Meets with transportation personnel to address any problems, questions, and/or emergencies that arise on a daily basis.
- Meets with school staff, parents and students to address any problems, questions, complaints and/or emergencies that arise on a daily basis when requested.
- Works with school administration, bus drivers and parents to implement strategies to better improve student behavior.
- Ensures the compliance of state and local regulations.
- Assists with all manner of emergency situations including but not limited to evacuations, driving, and monitoring.
- Assists with assigning field trips and athletic runs.
- Assists the Human Resources department with recruiting, selecting, and maintaining an authorized level of bus drivers and attendants.
- Works with city EOC to manage transportation assets in support of emergency situations.
- Evaluates road conditions, along with a road assessment team, in inclement weather.
- Maintains enforces and develops all safety and training standards.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Director
- Must possess a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalency) and experience as a school bus driver or any combination of education and experience that would provide the necessary leadership, knowledge and /or management positions a strong plus.
- Three (3) years of experience in transportation required; previous work in a dispatcher capacity is a plus.
- Must have a thorough understanding of school transportation operations, safety, routing concepts and their applications.
- Must possess demonstrated leadership, organization, human relations, and communications skills.
- Must possess the ability to organize, lead and supervise a transportation compound and area.
- Must possess a valid Virginia Driver’s License and be willing to acquire a CDL with requisite school bus endorsement
- Ability to positively interact and communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with coworkers, students, parents, and school officials.
- Ability to supervise bus drivers, lot attendants, and bus attendants.
- Ability to accurately document and record information, as well as to store and retrieve information on bus routes and accidents using a computer.
- Availability to work during off-duty hours such as evenings, holidays, and/or weekends as necessary to handle emergencies.
You may apply anytime before midnight on the closing date. The following information is required to be considered for the position:
- Feedback on reference forms from all persons listed as references (minimum of two)
Only complete applications will be considered.
Hampton City Schools does not discriminate in employment against any person on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender, age, disability or other protected class. Personnel decisions are based on merit and the ability to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Executive Director of Human Resources, One Franklin Street, Hampton, VA 23669; (757) 727-2300Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request.