Instructional Assistant - Hourly
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Janice Wayman, Principal, at (385)-646-4585 or emailjhwayman @graniteschools.org
Hours per Week: 29
|Job Title||Instructional Assistant|
|Department||Special Education - Hartvigsen|
|Salary Schedule||Classified Hourly|
|Contract Length||Hourly Only|
|Last Review Date||October 2020|
The Instructional Assistant works under the direction of certified staff and is part of the classroom team responsible for supporting students’ educational programs. Attendance, physical presence, and timeliness are required and are essential functions of this position.
- Works under the direction of certified staff (teacher, therapist, nurse, administrator) in implementing students’ Individual Education Plan (IEP).
- Supervises students indoors, outdoors, and in the community to ensure their safety.
- Provides clerical services, prepares instructional materials, collects data, and performs other instructional tasks as assigned.
- Performs under the direction of certified staff, such tasks as operating equipment, providing seizure care, special health care and observation, toileting, and lifting students, and other appropriate responses to student needs.
- Assists nurses with gastronomy tube feeding, catherization, seizure control therapy, diet control, and other health care services and medical procedures under the direction of the school nurse.
- Assists with motor development programs under the direction of the assigned physical and occupation therapists.
- Assists with communicating with hearing and vision impaired.
- Works with students in and around the swimming and therapy pools.
- Attendance and physical presence are required and is an essential function of this position.
- Other duties as assigned*
Required Education and Qualifications
High school diploma or equivalent
Required Prior Experience
Experience working with students with disabilities preferred
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Skilled in interpersonal relations for effective work with staff and students.
- Flexible and adaptive in responding to student needs.
- Ability to show initiative (within authorized limits).
- Ability to follow through and complete assigned tasks.
- Ability to show patience and tenacity and be responsive to feedback and instruction.
- Ability to properly use equipment (computers, TV, OT and PT equipment, projectors, and other instructional classroom equipment.)
Makes decisions concerning the best way to accomplish tasks assigned by the classroom teacher and related service professionals. Must take directions well and be able to work within specific guidelines. Makes suggestions but must be willing to follow directions. Concerns for safety of self and others.
Interactions with Others
Interacts positively with students, parents, staff, teachers, administration, and other district personnel.
Oversees the safety of students.
Work setting is mainly in the classroom. May be asked to work inside or outside the building to accomplish assigned tasks. Working conditions can be in hot and cold weather. May experience stress from disruptive students and/or groups of students.
Physical Requirements – Not limited to the following:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to speak and/or hear. Frequently required to stand, walk, run, reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, and crouch. Occasionally required to use hands to handle or feel and must occasionally climb or balance.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- Must be able to stand/sit for long periods of time.
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. and assist with heavier lifts.