Paraprofessional - Essex Intermediate School
Job Title: Paraprofessional
Contract Length: 184 Days
Job Classification: Non-Exempt
Provides assistance to the classroom teacher(s) in the management and instruction of students; performs related tasks as required and directed. Must work under the direct supervision of and in close and frequent proximity with a highly qualified teacher.
The minimum performance expectations include, but are not limited to, the following functions/tasks:
- Maintains and respects confidentiality of student and school personnel information;
- Discusses assigned teaching area with classroom teacher(s) to coordinate instructional efforts;
- Assists in delivering instructions to students;
- Carries out instructional plans as designated by the classroom teacher(s) and if appropriate, students’ Individual Educational Plans (IEPs);
- Assists classroom teacher(s) in preparing and developing various teaching aids, such as bibliographies, charts, centers, and graphs;
- Assists students, individually and in groups, with lesson assignments to reinforce learning concepts;
- Maintains pleasant and orderly classroom environment (e.g., maintains instructional materials, designs bulletin boards, assists teacher and/or students in clean-up activities, etc.);
- Assists teacher(s) in maintaining a classroom management policy that fosters a safe and positive environment for all students and staff;
- Assists in ensuring the adequate safe supervision of all students;
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities;
- Assists the teacher(s) in related instructional activities (e.g., field trips, library, assembly, etc.) as directed;
- Assists in ensuring the safe and proper physical movement of students from one learning environment to another;
- Assists in the proper maintenance of students' records, under supervision and/or direction of classroom teacher and/or building administrator(s);
- Attends required meetings and inservices;
- Assumes responsibility for professional growth and keeps materials, supplies, and skills up-to-date;
- Complies with and supports school and division regulations and policies;
- Maintains proper boundaries with students at all times, assuring respect for the ethical and legal duties in the staff-student relationship and the essential duty to serve as a role model;
- Provides a good role model in appearance, demeanor, dress and behavior for the students served;
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or other appropriate administrator aligned with the mission and vision of Essex County Public Schools.
Ability to work cooperatively with others in a positive manner; ability to learn and use specialized instructional/management techniques as needed; ability to communicate and develop effective working relationships with students, parents, administrators, and staff.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
An associates degreee or or a passing score on the ParaPro Assessment
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, to enter data into a computer; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal classroom levels, outdoors and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in normal classrooms, outdoors and on the telephone; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds; and to bend, stoop, sit on the floor, climb stairs, walk and reach overhead.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Duties are normally performed in a school/classroom environment. Duties may be occasionally performed on field trips away from school. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.