FREDERICKSBURG CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
TITLE: DEPUTY SUPERINTENDENT
The primary function of the Deputy Superintendent shall be to plan, implement, and evaluate all instructional programs. The Deputy Superintendent shall be knowledgeable of current education trends and effective practice and will work closely with the teachers, administrators, parents, and members of the community to maintain and improve the quality of instruction for all students.
1. Hold a Postgraduate Professional License with a master’s degree and an endorsement in Administration and Supervision.
2. Have at least five years of experience in administration and/or supervisory positions.
3. Have demonstrated the professional and personal characteristics necessary for working effectively with school personnel and members of the community.
REPORTS TO: Superintendent
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. To act on behalf of the Superintendent of Schools in her absence.
2. To coordinate and manage the flow of information within the division.
3. To supervise and coordinate the work of the Chief Academic Officer, Chief Operations Officer, various directors, and supervisors.
4. To assist in the preparation of the School Board budget.
5. To supervise the coordination and articulation of K-12 programs in all subject areas.
6. To inform, interpret and recommend to the Superintendent the effects of current and impending federal/state legislation and prepare testimony for the School Board concerning pending federal/state legislation.
7. To ensure compliance with all instructional mandates of the Virginia Department of Education.
8. To plan and implement, in association with others, professional staff development programs.
9. To attend all School Board meetings and, in association with others, report on agenda items related to curriculum and instruction.
10. To oversee FCPS Enrollment, Capacity, and Expansion plans.
11. To serve as FCPS Title IX Officer and Office of Civil Rights contact.
12. To ensure Standards of Quality Compliance.
13. To oversee building use and operations.
14. To evaluate the Chief Academic Officer, Chief Operations/Information Officer, and the Director of Human Resources.
15. To perform any other appropriate duties as may be assigned by the Superintendent.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES RELATING TO TECHNOLOGY:
1. To oversee the school division’s technology programs and ensure compliance with state and federal mandates.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
12-month contract paid on administrative salary scale.
Performance on this job will be evaluated in accordance with School Board policy and administrative regulations on evaluation of administrative personnel.