Counseling Administrative Assistant
Job Title: Counseling Administrative Assistant
Contract Length: 220 Days
Job Classification: Non-Exempt
Postion is responsible for providing guidance office support
The minimum performance expectations include, but are not limited to, the following functions/tasks:
- Serves as administrative assistant to school counseling.
- Provides clerical assistance as required, which may include compiling/typing lists, taking/typing/distributing materials, typing programs/materials, assisting with preparation of course description booklet, etc.
- Acts as receptionist, receiving visitors, parents, teachers and students.
- Confers with students, parents, salesmen, and others, answering inquiries and disseminating information, personally and over the phone.
- Provides support services to principal(s) and school counseling department. This may include organization and coordination of activities, computer input, and generating schedules.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or other appropriate administrator aligned with the mission and vision of Essex County Public Schools.
Maintains a variety of files, documents and student records (e.g. grades, transcripts, academic achievement records, etc.) for the purpose of documenting and/or providing reliable information relative to student records.
Processes requests from students, other districts, colleges/universities and/or employment agencies (e.g. transcripts, job verification, attendance/graduation verification, etc.) for the purpose of providing required information
Responds to inquiries of staff, other educational institutions, the public, parents and/or students (e.g. mail out transcripts, processing student withdrawals as needed, ) for the purpose of providing information and/or direction
Assists other personnel (e.g. summer school program, mailings, testing, graduation ceremonies, return mail, powerschool monitor) for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities.
Maintains complete, accurate and current student attendance data.
Performs enrollment and unenrollment activities on the automated student information system and prepares and maintains permanent student record and cumulative folders for all students (e.g. requests records on new students, data entry of all student records) for the purpose of ensuring compliance with financial, legal, state or federal requirements.
Contact parents for confirmation when a student withdraws. Drop students in computer that have withdrawn or have been dropped for lack of attendance by attendance office.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified, to perform the essential functions.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
Completion of Associates Degree Preferred
1.Knowledge of PowerSchool software system is preferred, but not necessary, and the ability to perform data entry
2. Knowledge of school operation and ability to relate effectively to students, staff, and parents
3. Knowledge of grading system
4. Skills in the areas of organization, attention to detail, filing, problem solving, and commitment to follow through on tasks
5. Skills that exemplify high level of computer proficiency and application of technology
6. Excellent skills in English grammar, spelling, and punctuation
7. Ability to work independently, take initiative, accept responsibility and make decisions as necessary
8. Ability to communicate in a professional manner both orally and in writing
9. Ability to handle confidential matters in an ethical manner
10. Ability to work efficiently and effectively with staff and public
11. Ability to produce and maintain accurate records
12. Ability to work both independently and cooperatively, exercise judgment and creativity, organize work, set priorities, meet deadlines, and work under pressure with constant disruptions
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, lift, carry, move about, hear and speak. Employee may be required to perform extensive work at a computer display terminal. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move 25 to 50 pounds
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Duties are normally performed in an office environment.
Students who have been assigned to Office Aide