Special Education General Curriculum Teacher
SIGNING BONUS - $2,500.00 (pro-rated)
Title: Special Education General Curriculum Teacher
Reports To: Principal
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: To lead students toward the fulfillment of the potential for
intellectual, emotional, and psychological growth and
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other
duties may be assigned.
1. Develops an Individualized Education Program (IEP) designed to meet the educational
needs, interests, and abilities of the students using confidential data
2. Guides the learning process toward the achievement of IEP goals and designs lesson
planss with clear objectives that are measurable, attainable, realistic, and specific
3. Employs instructional methods and materials that are most appropriate for meeting IEP
4. Maintains accurate and complete records as required by the school division
5. Assists the administration in implementing all policies/rules governing student life and
conduct, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedures, and maintains
discipline in a fair and just manner
6. Attends and participates in staff meetings and makes provision for professional growth
through an ongoing program of reading, conferences, and keeping abreast of current state
regulations for special education
7. Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for the aide and evaluates their performance
8. Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests,
and abilities of the students
9. Selects appropriate materials geared toward the performance level of students
10. Acts a liaison between mainstreamed students and teachers
11. Keeps the line of communication open with parents and keeps ongoing records of
12. Refers students who are in need of related services to other specialists
13. Plans IEP’s annually for appropriateness in order to make recommendations for
continuation in existing placement of change of placement
14. Counsels with students, colleagues, and parents as needed
15. Maintains positive public relations at all times
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Ten month employment. Salary to be determined by the School Board.
Performance of the position will be evaluated annually in accordance with the provisions of the Prince Edward County School Board’s policy on evaluation of professional personnel.