High School Assistant Band Director
Job | Posted a month ago
POSITION: Assistant High School Band Director
- Has the ability to organize and supervise a total band program.
- Has previous successful experience in assigned sport/activity
- Demonstrates expertise in knowledge and teaching of instrumental music.
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
REPORTS TO: The athletic director, who provides overall objectives and final evaluation in conjunction with the high school principals
JOB GOAL: Assists in administering the band program for the high school. Provides guidance and encouragement to help students profit from their participation. Promotes close working relationships with parents. Keeps the band director and principal informed of emerging issues.
- The success of band programs has a strong influence on the community's image of the entire system. The public exposure is a considerable responsibility and community/parent pressure for winning performance is taxing, but must not override the objectives of good sportsmanship and good mental health.
- The position includes other unusual aspect such as extended time, risk injury factor and due process predicaments.
- It is the express intent of this job description to give sufficient guidance to function. In cases not specifically covered, it shall be assumed that a coach/assistant shall exercise common sense and good judgment.
- The position is evaluated yearly and upon recommendation, will be renewed for the upcoming school year.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Has a thorough knowledge of all the athletic/activities policies approved by the Suffolk Public Schools’ Board of Education and is responsible for their implementation by the team’s staff of the sports program.
- Has knowledge of existing system, state and league regulations; implements same consistently and interprets them for staff.
- Understands the proper administrative line of command and refers all requests or grievances through proper channels. Is aware of all public/staff/departmental meetings that require attendance.
- Established the fundamental philosophy, skills and techniques to be taught by assistants. Designs conferences, clinics and staff meetings to insure staff awareness of overall program.
- Trains and informs staff, encourages professional growth by encouraging clinic attendance.
- Delegates specific duties, supervises implementation and, at season's end, analyzes staff effectiveness and evaluates all assistants.
- Maintains discipline, adjusts grievances and works to increase morale and cooperation.
- Performs such other duties which may be assigned by the athletic director/principal.
- Assists the athletic director in scheduling, providing transportation and requirements for tournament and special sport events.
- Assists in the necessary preparation to hold scheduled sport/activity events or practices and adheres to scheduled facility times. Coordinates program with maintenance and school employees.
- Provides documentation to fulfill state and system requirements concerning physical examinations, parental consent and eligibility.
- Provides proper safeguards for maintenance and protection of assigned equipment sites.
- Advises the athletic director and recommends policy, method or procedural changes.
- Serves as a mentor to each athlete to promote the development and demonstration in student athletes the character traits of trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship.
- Gives constant attention to a student's grades and conduct.
- By his/her presence at all practices games and while traveling, provides assistance, guidance and safeguards for each participant.
- Provides training rules, schedule, calendar, and any other unique regulations of the sport to each athlete (and their parents) who is considered a participant.
- Follows programs and policies concerning injuries, medical attention and emergencies.
- Directs SPS Trainer to complete paperwork on all disabling student injuries on proper forms and submits to athletic office within 24 hours.
- Directs student managers, assistants and statisticians.
- Determines discipline, delineates procedures concerning due process when the enforcement of discipline is necessary and contracts parents and the Athletic Director when a student is dropped or becomes ineligible.
- Assists athletes in their college or advanced educational selection.
- Participates in the budgeting function with the athletic director by establishing requirements for the next season. Recommends equipment guidelines as to type, style, color or technical specifications.
- Is accountable for all equipment and collects the cost of any equipment lost or not returned.
- Arranges for issuing, storing and reconditioning of equipment and submits annual inventory and current records concerning same.
- Properly marks and identifies all equipment before issuing or storing.
- Monitors equipment rooms and coaches' offices, authorizes who may enter, issue or requisition equipment.
- Permits the students to only be in authorized areas of the building at the appropriate times.
- Examines locker rooms before and after practices and games, checking on general cleanliness of the facility. Responsible for cleanliness and maintenance of specific sport equipment and facility used.
- Secures all doors, lights, windows and locks before leaving building if custodians are not on duty.
- Instills in each player a respect for equipment and school property, its care and proper use.
- Organizes parents, coaches, players and guests for preseason meetings.
- Promotes the band within the school through recruiting students who are not in another sports program and promotes the band outside the school through news media, little league programs, or in any other feasible manner.
- Responsible for the quality, effectiveness and validity of any oral or written release to local media.
- Responsible for maintaining good public relations with news media, booster club, parents, officials, volunteers and fans.
- Presents information to news media concerning schedules, tournaments and results.
Suffolk Public Schools
351 Kings Fork Road, Suffolk, VA 23434
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $11,724
% ELL Students
State Average: 9%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 14.22
% IEP Students
State Average: 13%
State Average: 801