Clerk of the School Board
FREDERICKSBURG CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
CLERK OF THE SCHOOL BOARD
This position performs complex clerical and responsible administrative work in service of the School Board and Superintendent.
- Associate degree from an accredited college or university in a related field and a minimum of five years of experience in a related field preferred.
- Excellent communications, public relations, planning, organizational, presentation and negotiation skills are essential.
- Must have considerable knowledge of educational policy development, the administration and procedures of the local public-school division, and the laws, rules, and trends concerning public education programs and services.
- Must have demonstrated ability to assist in the coordination and definition of educational policy and the ability to apply problem-solving techniques to a variety of situations.
- Knowledge of standard office practices, procedures, equipment and clerical techniques; in addition to a thorough knowledge of school system functions, organization, policies, and practices of file and records management.
- Knowledge of business language and composition along with thorough knowledge of English grammar and usage.
- Must be able to efficiently manage multiple assignments with critical deadlines and coordinate, critique and edit work products of others.
- Must have the ability to interpret policies, programs, laws and regulations on a wide variety of issues concerning public education.
- Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school board members, Superintendent’s Cabinet members, office staff, school administrators, central office staff, parents, community/business representatives and government officials.
- Must have considerable skills and experience with personal computers and the use of multiple media equipment for presentations.
- Must have knowledge of and experience that would indicate an ability to manage Board Docs.
- Prepares meeting agendas for the School Board as directed, and prepares agenda materials for Board members and others; records and preserves the actions of the Board; serves as primary contact for department staff and public agenda items and records; prepares, edits, and distributes meeting minutes and other documents resulting from the Board’s actions.
- Prepares and place completed agenda components in Board Docs to be viewed by the Superintendent; reviews final agenda and backup materials; files and indexes minutes, policies, regulations, bylaws, resolutions, and agreements.
- Keeps a record of the meetings and proceedings of the Board, a record of all receipts and disbursements, a record of all his/her official acts, a file of vouchers, contracts, and other office papers.
- Prepares/disseminates School Board minutes, correspondence, speeches, reports, and briefing documents.
- Reviews, conforms, records, and preserves all resolutions, ordinances, contracts, and other records and documents of the Board; accepts and distributes petitions, claims, appeals, and lawsuits.
- Coordinates preparations for public hearings, awards, and ceremonial resolutions of the Board, attends Board meetings, Board retreats, and Board work sessions; records and transcribes accurately minutes for approval when applicable; follows up to obtain signatures on pending and completed business as needed.
- Prepares and maintains calendar of meetings, committee meetings, public hearings; responds to inquiries by general public regarding Board actions, procedures, and policies.
- Provides notary services.
- Performs all responsibilities, functions and/or duties in accordance with applicable laws and School Board policies.
- Maintains regular contact with the School Board Chairperson and all Board members to ascertain their interest, needs and requirements.
- Attends all School Board functions which includes evenings and/or weekends when required.
- Attends related meetings of the Virginia School Board Association and other professional organizations as required.
- Coordinates and schedules orientation sessions for new School Board members, in consultation with the Chairperson.
- Helps to identify and plan leadership development opportunities and professional conferences/workshops including registration, travel, and other scheduling arrangements for School Board members.
- Takes initiative in assisting the Board in adhering to all deadlines, legal and policy requirements, the Code of Virginia, and School Board Policies and Regulations as related to School Board Operations.
- Coordinates preparations and filing of Economic Statements by School Board members in accordance with State law. Coordinates Freedom of Information Act and Conflict of Interests Act Training and maintains records.
- Implements the policy maintenance functions of the Board; coordinates reviews, amendments, and distribution of School Board policy on an ongoing basis.
- Monitors, interprets and provides guidance on School Board privileges including support for the coordination, drafting and interpretation of policies.
- Prepares written correspondence for School Board members, prepares, and replies to routine correspondence independently, handles confidential mail.
- Coordinates all Freedom of Information requests and responses.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Chairperson of the School Board.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Twelve-month, full-time position
Performance on the job will be evaluated collaboratively by the School Board and Superintendent in accordance with school board policy and administrative regulations on evaluation of classified personnel.