General Education Teacher Assistant
Job Title: General Education Teacher Assistant
Job Objectives: Germantown Municipal School District’s General Education Teacher Assistant staff members are expected to provide best instructional practices in ensuring that students have a quality educational experience evident by socio-emotional growth and academic achievement.
- High School Diploma or GED required. Some experience working with students is preferred.
- A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualification
These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Assist students, teachers, and others as directed
- Assist students during lunch in the cafeteria setting
- Administer, score, and record such achievements and diagnostic tests as recommended by the teacher
- Operate and care for equipment used in the classroom for instructional purposes
- Distribute and collect workbooks, papers, and other materials for instruction
- Assist with the supervision of students during emergency drills, assemblies, play periods and field trips
- Check notebooks, correct papers, and supervise testing and makeup work as assigned
- Work with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of material or skills
- Know and follow all safety rules and procedures associated with the responsibilities of the position
- Establish and maintain satisfactory, respectful working relationships within the school environment
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervising teacher and/or school principal.
- Be prepared to perform the job in accordance with the GMSD Classified Staff Evaluation Plan.
- The General Education Assistant position is a full time ten (10) month position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- General knowledge of the practices, methods and techniques used in teaching in the general elementary education population; ability to maintain files and information; skill in the use of classroom and instructional equipment; ability to operate audio visual, standard office, word and data processing equipment; ability to operate adaptive equipment; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with teachers, parents, students, and administrators.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 60 pounds
- Ability to move around well enough to perform the duties of the position safely
- Exposure to the following situations may range from remote to frequent based on circumstances and factors that may not be predictable.
- Standard classroom environment
Significant standing; some walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling,
reaching, handling, pushing, and pulling. Must have the ability to lift 60 lbs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.