Under the supervision of the Executive Director of Human Resources or other administrator, to provide accounting work in the operation of the payroll system including processing, handling, and controlling a broad range of payroll transactions and records.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- To assist the employees of the Mecklenburg County Public Schools with their payroll and benefit requirements by providing an extended variety of financial and personal assistance, and to ensure these benefits comply with all mandated state and federal laws.
- Inform immediate supervisor of all conditions concerning payroll issues regarding compensation for all employees.
- Provide technical expertise and respond to questions, concerns, or complaints from employees related to interpretation of laws, rules, and regulations, and contracts governing district payrolls.
- Communicate and work with district departments and personnel to obtain and provide information, resolve discrepancies, and correct any possible payroll issues or errors.
- Prepare, process, and record specialized payroll and benefits transactions related to workers’ compensation, contributions, retroactive pay, and other related services.
- Prepare and balance all payrolls to be run.
- Coordinate the preparation, distribution, and reporting process for all payrolls.
- Perform calculation of wages, overtime, and deductions to ensure compliance with federal and state laws.
- Plan, organize, coordinate, establish, and implement policies and procedures for the district’s payroll and control functions.
- Post payroll data and prepare mandatory reports including federal and state.
- Ensure the payroll deduction payments and reports are disbursed timely and accurately.
- Examine and verify employee information processed by Human Resource Office.
- Process all payroll changes and updates to employee pay roster related to individual employee requirements for accurate reporting.
- Assist in management of processing payrolls and withholding utilizing network application programs.
- Gather, process, and review documents requested in legal subpoenas regarding employee wages and health benefits, including retrieving payroll wages since date of hire, dates of absences, reason for each absence, garnishments and child support, and submit to the proper court and/or attorney.
- Compute, prepare, and process withholdings from all payrolls and provide report as requested or required by regulations.
- Prepare and report federal tax and FICA withholdings.
- Maintain all records and organization of monthly payrolls.
- Maintain accurate information concerning stop payments and manually written payroll checks for auditing purposes.
- Prepare and key all requests for annuity deductions to individual employee pay roster ensuring they meet federal procedures and guidelines.
- Respond to and assist employees with questions related to their specific payroll and benefits.
- Prepare and process payrolls for retirement incentive, unused health leave, and unused vacation payments.
- Prepare and process monthly and annual retirement, Department of Revenue, employment security and social security reports.
- Balance, prepare, and process annual W-3 and W-3 reports through federal e-services online.
- Maintain paperwork and verification records for previous employees to include paid wages, employment dates, retirement contributions, etc.
- Assist in the scheduling and presentation of informational materials, workshop, and conferences.
- Prepare and key all annual earned vacation for 12 month employees.
- Monitor all leave keyed for employees from building locations to ensure accuracy of leave and correct payment of the corresponding substitute.
- Maintain monthly, quarterly, and annual district absentee reports for accuracy and posting.
- Oversee all aspects of employee compensation, preparation, planning, analysis and monitoring policies and procedures.
- Prepare compliance and statistic reports for governmental agencies related to the district maintained benefit and annuity plans.
- Assist in preparation and management of the district’s 125 Cafeteria compensation plan.
- Set up, file, and retain the district’s tax related records.
- Furnish information for RFP’s related to cost and types of coverage with other plans.
- Prepare, process, and maintain reconciliation of health insurance payments from retirees.
- Monitor all benefit programs for compliance with government regulations.
- Serve as Notary Public to the district and all employees.
- Maintain a commitment to ongoing professional development.
- Maintains appropriate confidentiality.
Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the payroll department.
NOTE: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, copy machine, fax machine.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of payroll principles and practices.
- Ability to quickly learn procedures used to report information and maintain records.
- Ability to describe problems and work orally or in writing to supervisor as required.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Word, Excel, Powerpoint, the Internet, email).
- Ability to problem solve job-related issues.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to process paperwork accurately according to standardized procedures.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding employees and others.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledge of office management procedures.
- Experience with RDA Financial Software Preferred
- Experience with the Payroll Process Preferred
- Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying.
- Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Graduation from high school.
- Associate's Degree in related area preferred.
- Successful experience with office management preferred.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt