Career Development Teacher
Job Summary: Teach Career Development course, facilitate online elective courses using various online educational platforms, teach workforce readiness skills, and monitor post-graduate learning activities. Assist in the delivery of college admissions preparation, academic and career counseling, and case management services to youth residing within the Rappahannock Juvenile Center. Collaborate with all stakeholders to provide transition support to youth returning to their communities. Act as a liaison between students, parents, and community agencies to increase access to support services for students returning to the community.
- Designs coherent instruction based upon knowledge of subject matter, current instructional practices, students, the community, and curriculum goals;
- Evaluates students' progress; provides students with prompt specific evaluative feedback; maintains appropriate records and prepares progress reports;
- Selects, evaluates, and refines a variety of teaching methods and instructional strategies for the active engagement of students and improvement of student learning;
- Implements a classroom management policy that fosters a safe and positive environment for all students and staff;
- Works collaboratively with staff, families, and community resources to support the success of a diverse student population;
- Models professional, moral, and ethical standards as well as personal integrity in all interactions;
- Performs related duties as assigned by the building administrator(s) in accordance with the school/division policies and practices.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides for an effective working relationship with students, parents, principals, teachers, and other stakeholders involved in student post-secondary planning.
- Coordinates with various LEAs and school programs to interpret and maintain student academic transcripts.
- Develops, implements, and promotes programs with an emphasis on employability, post-secondary education, vocational training, and independent living.
- Conducts a variety of work, college and career related activities for students, including preparing for job readiness, career exploration, and job preparation skills training.
- Maintains necessary records of student participation, pre and post surveys, and documenting program activities and outcomes.
- Works closely with post-graduates to assist with job search, post-secondary education admissions processes, FAFSA, SAT preparation, vocational training, military entrance requirements and ASVAB preparation.
- Provides training and support to staff regarding social concerns/issue, such as but not limited to: homelessness, poverty, mental health disorders, and school disengagement.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Skills and abilities to work with neglected and socio-economic disadvantaged youth within a highly secured environment/facility.
- Strong professional skills in effective communication.
- Knowledge of effective classroom management to support a social/emotional learning environment.
- Knowledge of resources and community agencies designed to assist individuals with disabilities.
- Ability to implement trauma-informed care, positive behavioral supports, and restorative justice practices.
- Knowledge of community services and resources to support youth returning to various communities.
- Ability to work within a “team” environment to deliver articulate oral presentations and written reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain the professional and personal characteristics necessary for working effectively with students, parents, multi-agency personnel and community agencies.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity and knowledge of the service area demographics.
- Working knowledge of program development, implementation, and coordination.
Career Development Teacher will meet minimum requirements:
- Valid Teaching certification
- Ability to travel, at least quarterly to Richmond and occasionally around the state.
- Valid Virginia Teaching Certificate
- Career and Technical Education or Special Education endorsement preferred, but not necessary
Bachelor’s Degree or Higher
Salary: This is an 11 month position; starting salary TBD. Additional compensation awarded for credits earned toward advanced degrees. New employees to Spotsylvania County will be compensated for up to 20 years of experience.
How to Apply: Follow all instructions to complete a Licensed application