Job | Posted 24 days ago
Job Title: ECSE Teacher ( Early Childhood Education)
Position is responsible for creating a classroom environment favorable to learning and personal growth of every student; establishing effective rapport with students; motivating students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for becoming a responsible citizen in accordance with each pupil’s ability; and to establish good relationships with parents and with other staff members.
Contract Length: 200 Days
Job Classification: Exempt
- Teach disabled children who have mild to moderate disabilities.
- Instruct students at the preschool level.
- Modify traditional education curriculum to meet child's needs.
- Assist children with specific learning disabilities, speech or language impairments, mental retardation, emotional disturbance, multiple disabilities, hearing impairments, orthopedic impairments, visual impairments, autism, combined deafness and blindness, traumatic brain injury.
- Help identify children with special needs.
- Use various teaching methods to promote learning, including intensive individualized instruction, problem-solving assignments, and small-group work.
- Ensure appropriate accommodations are available in class and when a student needs to take a test.
- Develop an Individualized Education Program (IEP) for each student.
- Set personalized goals.
- Develop transition plan outlining specific steps to prepare students for next grade level.
- Review the IEP with the student's parents, school administrators, and the student's general education teachers.
- Inform parents of child's progress.
- Design and teach appropriate curricula.
- Assign work as needed.
- Grade papers and homework assignments.
- Record grades in grade books.
- Help general educators adapt curriculum materials and teaching techniques to meet the needs of students with disabilities.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiates instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of elementary school curriculum and concepts.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Works in standard office and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
- Certification/License: Certification as an Elementary Teacher
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in Elementary Education or related discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Masters Degree in related area preferred.
Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade levels a plus.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Essex County Schools
205 Elementary School Road, Tappahannock, VA 22560
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $11,724
% ELL Students
State Average: 9%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 14.22
% IEP Students
State Average: 13%
State Average: 801