Elementary Reading Specialist
ELEMENTARY READING SPECIALIST
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, is responsible for implementing a comprehensive literacy program at the assigned school through coaching, supporting, and guiding teachers in best practices for literacy instruction, including the integration of literacy and best practices throughout the day and across all content. Position coaches teachers, models lessons, co-teaches, collaboratively plans, provides feedback to teachers, conducts professional development, and collaborates with administrators to design and lead the school’s literacy program. Position is responsible for analyzing school literacy data and planning for future literacy needs. Position is responsible for instructing students individually or in groups to enable students to develop literacy skills.
- Coaches and supports teachers in planning, delivering, and assessing quality literacy instruction throughout the day and in all content.
- Plans, models, and co-teaches literacy lessons with teachers.
- Regularly visits classroom to provide feedback to teachers to improve literacy instruction at the school, including planning for ongoing monitoring and support.
- Coordinates the school’s reading program across all content.
- Assists administrators and teachers at the assigned school in the implementation of a comprehensive literacy program, including its impact across content.
- Facilitates the school’s literacy team to implement a support framework for student achievement in literacy and to review the reading progress of students.
- Collects and facilitates the review and use of school literacy data to guide instruction and plan for student needs.
- Coordinates the literacy work of other reading staff in the building as applicable.
- Provides individual and/or small group instruction to meet the needs of students.
- Interprets the abilities and disabilities of students and works cooperatively with classroom teachers who have these students in classes.
- Assists with screening, evaluating, and recommending interventions for students reading in the lower quartile.
- Completes reports, collects data, and provides information for program monitoring as requested.
- Conferences as requested with parents/guardians regarding the English reading and writing performance of students.
- Participates in developing, revising, and monitoring the implementation of the curriculum.
- Participates in the construction and selection of literacy assessments.
- Selects, requisitions, and maintains books, instructional materials, and instructional aids.
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
- Attends professional development programs, curriculum development meetings, and other professional activities.
- Keeps abreast of developments, research, and new technology in the field.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the school principal or other appropriate administrators.
- The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility. The Reading Specialist will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the principal or appropriate administrator. Mecklenburg County Public Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description and related duties at any time.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must possess effective instructional delivery techniques and excellent communication skills.
- Must possess knowledge of the needs of students requiring remedial reading instruction.
- Must possess an in-depth knowledge of instructional best practices and adult learning theory.
- Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school colleagues, school administrators, parents and students.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
- State certification as a Reading Specialist.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in education discipline.
- Must possess a Master’s Degree and hold or be eligible for an endorsement as a Reading Specialist.
- Must have completed at least three years of successful teaching experience in grade levels PreK-6.
Terms of Employment