Alternative Education Teacher
Job Title: Alternative Education Teacher
Contract Length: 200 Days
Job Classification: Exempt
Position is responsible for instructing students to the learn subject matter and/or skills that will contribute to their development as mature, able and responsible men and women
The minimum performance expectations include, but are not limited to, the following functions/tasks:
- Familiarizes oneself with and abides by school district policies; Stays current in changes in such policies through procedures described by the Board.
- Establishes and fosters a cooperative working relationship with the staff of the building to which the teacher is assigned, as well as with other District personnel.
- Exercises mature and professional judgment in teaching and in associations with staff and students.
- Participates in professional activities as part of the teaching assignment.
- Demonstrates high standards of professionalism and ethical conduct.
- Maintains confidentiality of information regarding colleagues, students, and parents.
- Maintains current certification in appropriate teaching area(s).
- Maintains adequate and current knowledge of developments within the respective teaching areas and within the areas of instruction and learning.
- Teaches the District standards in the assigned area; utilizes effective planning for each day’s teaching learning activities; clarifies goal and objectives of lessons and assignments; diagnoses and prescribes for student academic and effective strengths and weaknesses, evaluates student progress and achievement, and continually seeks to motivate students for the learning tasks at hand.
- Provides for reasonable care and safety of students who are assigned to them at all times. Is responsible for the daily safekeeping of students in their charge; must have ability to safely escort assigned students off school premises or otherwise manage students while in emergency situations. This includes following all appropriate crisis management protocols used by the District.
- Provides proper care and reasonable security for all District property in their custody.
- Seeks to establish a school climate, which will promote appropriate student discipline. Consistently supports and assists the building staff in maintaining order and discipline among students.
- Actively participates in Professional Learning Community (PLC) discussions at grade and subject levels.
- Utilizes instructional materials and other educational resources in a competent and effective manner.
- Makes use of technology for instructional purposes, as well as for record keeping, administrative and other non-instructional uses as may be required.
- Performs such other tasks and duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
Must possess a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in education or a related field and meet the Virginia Department of Education licensure eligibility requirements to teach. Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school administrators, parents, and students. Special Education knowledge preferred.