Middle School Teacher (Grades 6-8)
Job Title: Middle School Teacher Grades 6-8 (FLSA: Exempt)
Job Objectives: Germantown Municipal School District’s Teachers are expected to provide best instructional practices in ensuring that students have a quality educational experience where their potential is maximized.
Tennessee licensure and/or licensure eligibility in the state of Tennessee.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Teach and instruct in subject matter areas commonly found in a comprehensive public school system in which you are endorsed or selected to teach.
- Utilize an adopted course of study, instructional program guidelines, and other materials in planning and developing lesson plans and teaching outlines.
- Pursue a variety of methodology in teaching and instructing pupils, including lectures, demonstrations, discussions, and laboratory experiences.
- Conduct teaching and instructional activities, using educational equipment, materials, books, and other learning aids.
- Provide instruction in citizenship and other subject matter specified by legal mandate,
- Plan, develop, and utilize a variety of instructional materials and aids appropriate to the intellectual and instructional level of pupils from varied socio-economic and cultural backgrounds, and who also possess a range of mental and emotional maturity.
- Review, analyze and evaluate the history, background and assessment of pupils in designing instructional programs to meet individual educational needs.
- Individualize and adapt educational processes and procedures to enhance pupil educational opportunities.
- Provide group and individual instruction to motivate pupils, and effectively utilize the time available for instructional activities.
- Maintain appropriate standards of pupil behavior, using behavioral management strategies and techniques, including positive reinforcement and behavior shaping procedures.
- Review, analyze, evaluate, and report pupil academic, social, and emotional growth.
- Prepare, administer, score, record, and report the results of criterion referenced tests.
- Counsel, confer and communicate with parents, school and district personnel regarding pupil progress, and in the interpretation of the educational program.
- Cooperatively pursue alternative solutions to ameliorate pupil-learning problems, and to enhance expanded academic, social and emotional growth opportunities.
- Maintain an effective learning environment through the proper control of heating, lighting, and ventilation, and the utilization of exhibits, displays, and independent study centers.
- Select and requisition appropriate educational supplies, materials, books, equipment, and learning aids.
- Perform a variety of non-instructional duties, including curriculum and instructional development activities, student supervision, and consultation activities.
- Seek professional growth opportunities on a yearly basis that keep your professional current with best practices in a 21st Century learning environment.
- Be prepared to perform the job in accordance with the Teacher Evaluation Plan as established by the District and approved by the State Department of Education.
- Empathy and commitment to a cause.
- Deep understanding of the various school environments and commitment to improving student achievement.
- Passionately believes that all students can achieve at high levels.
- Demonstrates cultural competence and a deep understanding of and empathy for issues facing contemporary families.
Communication, interpersonal and team skills:
- Builds and maintains strong relationships.
- Works successfully alone or on a team.
- Participates proactively with teams.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; tailors message for the audience, context, and mode of communication.
- Actively listens to others and is able to effectively interpret others’ motivations and perceptions.
- Motivates and inspires students to action to achieve ambitious goals.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with individuals and groups.
- Moves professional learning communities to consensus.
- Builds coalitions and works collaboratively with diverse stakeholders at all levels, including but not limited to school personnel, students, families, communities, and/or advocacy groups.
Supervisory Responsibility: Student supervision required.
Working Conditions: Exposure to the following situations may range from remote to frequent based on circumstances and factors that may not be predictable.
Standard office environment.