Departmentalized 5th Grade Teacher - Emphasis in Literacy
JOB TITLE: Elementary School Teacher
REPORTS TO: Elementary School Principal and Assistant Principal
Under the general supervision of the Elementary School Principal and Assistant Principal, the Teacher’s objective is to facilitate student success and growth in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing University Schools approved curriculum; document teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; address specific educational needs of individual students and create a flexible, safe and optimal learning environment; and to provide feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Departmentalized instruction in literacy provided to 3 classes of the 5th grade student population.
- Home Room Teacher responsibilities for 1 class of 5th grade students.
- Provide instruction in Science and Social Studies to home room class.
- Develop and administer elementary school curriculum consistent with University Schools mission and vision.
- Promote a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develop lesson plans and instructional materials to maximize learning experiences in available time for instruction.
- Conduct ongoing assessment of student learning, and modify instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs.
- Instruct students in the principles of responsible citizenship and other subject matters, as well as administrative regulations and procedures of University Schools.
- Continue to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops, professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organize and maintain a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by University Schools procedures.
- Encourage parental involvement in students' education and ensure effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensure that student conduct conforms to the schools’ standards and University Schools policies.
- Coordinate with other elementary professional staff members, especially within grade level, to evaluate and assess curriculum, and participate in faculty meetings and committees.
- Select and acquire appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintain inventory records.
- Supervise students in activities that take place out of the classroom during the school day, including field trips, recess and other school activities as needed.
- Administer standardized tests in accordance with District/State/University Schools testing programs.
- Knowledge of current teaching theory methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiate instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of elementary school curriculum and concepts.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network systems and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others.
- Bachelor’s degree required in elementary education.
- Hold or be eligible for a Colorado teaching license.
- Prefer teacher to demonstrate the following experience:
- successful elementary school teaching experience
- interest and skill in the development of innovative approaches to teaching and interdisciplinary education
- Colorado State Certification as an Elementary Teacher.
- Background check required for hire.
In order to be considered, please apply online at https://www.universityschools.com/Human-Resources > Job Opportunities > All Open Positions. Upload the following items as directed by Frontline..
a. letter of interest
c. two letters of reference
d. copy of current Teaching license or evidence of ability to obtain
e. academic transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable for initial screening only)
Salary and Benefits: Our 2019/2020 salary schedule starts at a minimum salary of $37,005; based on experience/qualifications. Please note this may change for the 2020/2021 school year once the budget has been finalized. Benefits include health, life, and dental and vision insurance options as well as retirement in the Public Employees Retirement Association
Starting Date: August 14, 2020